how mad is this

ian mckay

i bought a quiver tip rod at the begging on last season,and i forgot all about it,ive just found it under my bed and its never been used,,,im gonna use it at my local pond, but ive never used a quiver before, so can anyone plz tell me the best way to use it and the best methods to use,,,,,,,,my local ponds are full of perch roach crewy rudd tench chubb carp

ooooooooo rrrrrrrrrr ive gotta bite

The best way to use a quiver-tip is to fish with either an ordinary bomb/running leger rig, or to use a feeder as the weight, again with a running leger rig. You cast out, then angle your rod at about 20 degrees to the bank (nearly parallel with the bank). You tighten your line until the quiver just begins to bend towards your bait: a baitrunner reel is ideal, or you could just leave the reel able to backwind. You watch the tip of the quiver, just as you would a float, striking if it either pulls round further or if it straightens. Some people use a target board by their tip, to judge the amount of bend, but I've never used one.

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

The other advantage of a target board is that long periods watching a quiver tip against a background of ripples or waving reeds will make your eyes go very strange indeed

A stink-bag hung over 2 bank sticks makes a perfectly good 'target board' as far as this is concerned

tight lines

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

GlennB:

The other advantage of a target board is that long periods watching a quiver tip against a background of ripples or waving reeds will make your eyes go very strange indeed

A stink-bag hung over 2 bank sticks makes a perfectly good 'target board' as far as this is concerned

tight lines

Or a twig, another bank stick or if the bottom is silty another quiver tip pushed into mud.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!