Patience... or Zen and the art of kids

Del_R

Was looking forward to a Sunday's fishing. Had it all planned out... continue my lure fishing experimentations with a long roving session at the canal. I've spoken to a few people in the week and have been given some good location tips. But then I figured I ought to do the right thing and ask the GF's lad if he fancied a day's fishing (as opposed to Xmas shopping with his mum). Is the Pope a Catholic? Of course he'd love it. However, despite the eagerness there was a touch of reticence in his voice that worried me. Nevertheless, the plans were changed (no lure fishing, it's off down a commercial where he can practice what he's learned so far about floats and patience), maggots were purchased, and a last chance to pass on the opportunity was offered. No way, the lad is keen as mustard. He loves fishing.

Took a while to get there. Got him set up and fishing. Just plumbing the depth on my swim when he needs a loo break. No worries. We take a break. Back to the swim. Pay the man £12 (there's no discount for 8 year olds). The lad catches a little roach before I've even put any bait on my hook. Help him with the disgorger. then he surprsies me as he asks, "What time are we going?"

Going? I haven't started yet!

"Why? Do you want to go?"

"No, I was just wondering."

Get my bait in. Catch a couple of good roach. Hook a few that get off inches from the bank, but it's all shaping up well.

"I'm a bit cold."

"Do you want your coat?"

"Yes."

Back to the car. Get coat. "When are we going?"

"Do you want to go?"

"No. Actually, yes. I don't feel well..."

We pack up. He sits in the car whilst the other anglers who have watched my half a dozen casts ponder on the shortest session in angling history. Back in the car and off we head home. I've fished for about ten minutes altogether and am pondering wistfully on the missed roving session when he asks "When are we going fishing again?"

He gets home and goes out into the street to play soccer.

Deep breath. Smile. Anyone want a pint of coloured maggots?

Del

LOL

Same here. I even take the nephews and neices down. This means I spend all my time disgorging and baiting hooks, then come home!

What you need is one of those lakes with a loo and an area for kids to clack about in.

It does'nt have to be a playground. Just an old area with nettles and a few sticks. I think the sticks are the important bit.

I suppose as a kid I just went down to the river for an hour or two after school. The rod was always left set up in the shed. If the fish were not interested then I expect that we just messed about by the river (I still dont rememeber how I fell in, honest) :D

"Muddlin' along"

Yep, we had a gravel pit at the end of the lane I lived in. My old man used to crush the barbs of hooks and send me and my mates down there. I recall lots of casting competitions (nothing fancy, just tie on the biggest bomb you had and aim for the horizon), a few perch, and lots of turning up rocks looking for newts.

Alas, a fews years later they ran electricty through the lake, took all the fish away, drained the pit, filled in the hole, and there's now a housing estate there. Sigh.

Del