To all the rod builders asn repairers

rob4310

I know there are lots of clever people on the forums who repair or even build rod. I have a silly question for them. I have a 12' heavy spinning rod (telescopic) which is great for throwing in the boot when I work away. Its ideal for light beach fishing or a bit of piking. The only trouble is it has a short handle. I would love to be able to extend this by about 6 to 8 inches to aid casting. I presume the cork and and duplon handle and the reel seat are on the butt end of the blank. Can you add something into the bottom of the blank and cover it with a grip to extend. The only other alternative is to move the grips and reel seat up towards the butt ring. Any ideas of how to do it.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Rob

I beleive anglers that fly fish for big species ie tarpon have a plug in fighting butt section to use for playing the fish once it is hooked.

Something like that might work for you and the rod will still be the same length for transporting.

you could have a seperate butt extenstion that will push into the end of the butt ,it'll depend on the butt on the telesopic rod wether its a cap or threaded end or solid / sealed end (all in one cork /eva grip ) .

a capped or threaded end is easy you just build a extention with a spigotted end that'll be a tight fit in the butt of the telescopic rod

a sealed end will require it too be opened up to allow a extention to fit .this may require some of the grip too be replaced / removed to allow access ,cant be too specific without seeing the end of the butt section of the rod in question .

if you could upload a picture that would be handy

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

you could have a seperate butt extenstion that will push into the end of the butt ,it'll depend on the butt on the telesopic rod wether its a cap or threaded end or solid / sealed end (all in one cork /eva grip ) .

a capped or threaded end is easy you just build a extention with a spigotted end that'll be a tight fit in the butt of the telescopic rod

a sealed end will require it too be opened up to allow a extention to fit .this may require some of the grip too be replaced / removed to allow access ,cant be too specific without seeing the end of the butt section of the rod in question .

if you could upload a picture that would be handy

Thanks for the reply. Its a screw cap I think. To allow the rod sections to come out (if the rings are removed) I will get a photo and post it. I found a document on a website just after I posted. It is from america and suggests using Aluminium tube slightly bigger than the OD of the blank. Inserting the blank in the aluminium tube for extra strength. Would love a removable extension, just didn't think that would be possible. Any links for suppliers of what I might need.

Thanks again will sort out a photo tonight

Regards

Rob

Lots of suppliers on the Net, but this will give you some idea of whats on offer..

http://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/Alumin...dex.html?page=2

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

post-13497-1324472668_thumb.jpgpost-13497-1324472675_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Its a screw cap I think. To allow the rod sections to come out (if the rings are removed) I will get a photo and post it. I found a document on a website just after I posted. It is from america and suggests using Aluminium tube slightly bigger than the OD of the blank. Inserting the blank in the aluminium tube for extra strength. Would love a removable extension, just didn't think that would be possible. Any links for suppliers of what I might need.

Thanks again will sort out a photo tonight

Regards

Rob

Attached some photos looks like inside diameter is 3/4 inch

post-13497-1324472668_thumb.jpgpost-13497-1324472675_thumb.jpg

Attached some photos looks like inside diameter is 3/4 inch

Rob its a simple job in fact so simple it would be easier for me to do it than explain! The biggest key though is having the materials.

If you can get the rod to Redditch before Tuesday 27th then I will ask my brother to bring it down to me and return it when he goes back home a few days later.I think the plug in extension is probably the best solution so you then can still keep the rod short for transporting.However if that ain't an issue it can be a permanent fit.

No charge.Let me know if that helps and we can discuss details/make arrangements.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Rob its a simple job in fact so simple it would be easier for me to do it than explain! The biggest key though is having the materials.

If you can get the rod to Redditch before Tuesday 27th then I will ask my brother to bring it down to me and return it when he goes back home a few days later.I think the plug in extension is probably the best solution so you then can still keep the rod short for transporting.However if that ain't an issue it can be a permanent fit.

No charge.Let me know if that helps and we can discuss details/make arrangements.

Thanks for the fantastic offer. Just the wrong time of year. I don't think I can get it over there before then. With all thats going on at the moment. Does your brother visit regularly as I could wait until later on in the new year. not in a rush as the rod is still usable. Just a nice to have. The plug in would be great. Thats what I had in mind from the start but wasn't sure if it would be strong enough and reliable enough. Thanks again. Maybe I could take you up on the offer next time your brother is visiting.

Regards

Rob

Thanks for the fantastic offer. Just the wrong time of year. I don't think I can get it over there before then. With all thats going on at the moment. Does your brother visit regularly as I could wait until later on in the new year. not in a rush as the rod is still usable. Just a nice to have. The plug in would be great. Thats what I had in mind from the start but wasn't sure if it would be strong enough and reliable enough. Thanks again. Maybe I could take you up on the offer next time your brother is visiting.

Regards

Rob

He does Rob and yes we can do that. I will let you know when he is down in the Spring.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

He does Rob and yes we can do that. I will let you know when he is down in the Spring.

Thats great. Again I can't thank you enough. AN members are always willing to help. It still surprises me.( even though I should be used to it by now with all the help and advice I have had over the last couple of years)

Thanks and best wishes for the new year.

Regards

Rob