chub on bread

Peter M

I think the difference there is between matchman/building up a swim tactics and specimen/roving tactics rather than float and quivertip. I've had a big chub on flake out of a swim weighing more than the bag of gudgeon, roach and chublets another chap had spent the previous five hours putting together on the float & maggot. The selectivity of big baits is sometimes welcome.

Personally I think often the most relevant factor from a catching bigger, old, wiser or maybe even sometimes catching more fish point of view is the "difference" and not necessarily which or size of the bait, the tactic or even to a degree swim choice.

If you are fishing a water that sees a lot of small bait match action, then yes maybe a big bait roving tactic could work very well. On another hand if your on a water that see a lot of big bait fishing ( my local river probably sees more barbel and big bait tip anglers than any other kind these days), maybe smaller baits could be the way to go on a water like that.

I think it often pays to try and do something different from what the water sees most of, but then some of you maybe lucky enough to fish waters that don't see to many other anglers. Lucky sods.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it often pays to try and do something different from what the water sees most of, but then some of you maybe lucky enough to fish waters that don't see to many other anglers. Lucky sods.

That is always the top priority!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Personally I think often the most relevant factor from a catching bigger, old, wiser or maybe even sometimes catching more fish point of view is the "difference" and not necessarily which or size of the bait, the tactic or even to a degree swim choice.

If you are fishing a water that sees a lot of small bait match action, then yes maybe a big bait roving tactic could work very well. On another hand if your on a water that see a lot of big bait fishing ( my local river probably sees more barbel and big bait tip anglers than any other kind these days), maybe smaller baits could be the way to go on a water like that.

These days I only fish waters that are relatively unfished, some haven't seen an angler other than myself in over forty years. You'd be amazed at how much free and unspoilt fishing there is if you are prepared to look for it. A lot of it is right in the heart of towns and cities, overlooked and underfished. Rivers that were polluted up to ten years ago now hold trout, grayling and barbel. There are old canals that have fallen into disrepair, but along their route are landlocked pounds that have rarely if ever fished. Get Google Earth loaded and start looking. I'd be surprised if there wasn't any free and little-fished water right under your nose.

Regards, Clive

Guest bbamboo

I stopped using a swim feeder with bread because I found out there is mant times the feeder does not empty no matter how hard I filled it.

I now use pva teabags you can guarantee the bread is releasted were you want it each and every time

Just IMO

gary