Help identify an old centrepin reel please?

PeterNE1

It's obvious that there are many people with more than a passing interest in centrepins / older tackle who drop by the site - I'm hoping someone can shed some light on an old centrepin, from a fairly average picture.

It's featured (amongst other tackle) on the front of a book written many years ago:

Successful Angling: Coarse Fishing Tackle and Methods by Richard Walker, Fred J Taylor, Hugh Falkus and Fred Buller.

I'm taking a guess that many people on here will have read the book, perhaps own a copy, but the pictures in question can be found here:

3 Hole Centrepin

Thanks! :D

Edited by PeterNE1

i cant answer who made them ,but i can tell this ,they come up on ebay fairly often ,they look very stantonish in style ,much like the rolls royce stantons (not adcock) but with three winding holes instead of six ,if not built by a rolls royce worker they was probably based on one.and home built crafted rather than mass produced in a factory.

CENTREPIN REEL FROM THE 70`S. 51/8" (130mm) dia. 1/12" wide(42mm).THE SPOOL IS MADE FROM ALUMINIUM AND THE BACK PLATE IS A LIGHT ALLOY. IT WEIGHS 356gms or 12 1/2 oz. RUNS ON A BEARING NOT A PIN

BpUfKGB2kKGrHqEOKjkEuZQ8PFBLq4Pcctg_12.jpg

BpUfSBQ2kKGrHqMOKjMEuZii2ZkBLq4P2N-lg_12.jpg

BpUfOEQWkKGrHqUOKiMEunUSNzBLq4Pptm0w_12.jpg

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Yeah .. I know there have always been a few around, but partly because of that I figured that they were a production run rather than home-build - unless someone was VERY busy at home? :-) I guees as much as anything I was trying to put a name to the reel, and figured that perhaps it was prominent in it's day, as was much of the other gear featured in the same picture?

Peter,

Is there a "the rest of the story" that might help identify a source? You know, like a fishing magazine article. Centerpins (as a class of reel) are a very popular "cottage industry" in the American West. It's not impossible for one to occasionally slip over the pond. As a rule our northwestern anglers use a larger size.

I don't know this - - - just wondering myself - - - is the thread type a giveaway? I'm not sure if your UK reels are in British find thread? Equally, I'm not sure what the American craftsmen use?

Phone

Peter,

Is there a "the rest of the story" that might help identify a source? You know, like a fishing magazine article. Centerpins (as a class of reel) are a very popular "cottage industry" in the American West. It's not impossible for one to occasionally slip over the pond. As a rule our northwestern anglers use a larger size.

I don't know this - - - just wondering myself - - - is the thread type a giveaway? I'm not sure if your UK reels are in British find thread? Equally, I'm not sure what the American craftsmen use?

Phone

Hi Phone, no further story, just simply trying to put a name to the reel in respect of manufacturer, model, vintage etc.

There seem to be quite a few pins from this timeframe that were apparently produced in numbers high enough to be commercial production rather than home-brews, yet they rarely have any sort of identifying marks to them - and some can be remarkably good quality for very little cash!

I've always been curious to try and compare the US - made ranges of centrepins with those commonly found here in the UK. Over here (if you ignore the like of Chris Lythe etc), commercial manufacture of centrepins seems to fall within the remit almost exclusively of Youngs, Stantons and Kingpins, all of which are made to a very high quality and tolerances, with the sort of prices you would expect - but their prime purpose is for catching fish far smaller than the large salmon etc that pins are often used for in the US.

That leads me to wonder about the quality / tolerances of the US mass-produced reels (which are easily available on Ebay UK, but rarely if ever seem to sell) I don't mean that in any disparaging way, it just occurs that a (US) reel designed to be used with lines of a very much heavier breaking strain MAY be more robust, but perhaps not made to the same fine tolerances (of a UK reel) that would normally prevent (fine) line slipping between the spool and backplate?

Shame the quality US reels cost what they do - it's a lot of cash to spend on a reel that you've never seen and know nothing about! :-)

Edited by PeterNE1

Peter,

Not being disrespectful to my American anglers but my "knee jerk" reaction to your thoughts are that the quality of "mass produced reels" in just that. Like you say, the US market may be used to a "larger screw" rather than fine tolerances. We have a tradition of incorporating built in obselence (sp).

Of course the products of individual craftsman are a stand alone subject.

Phone