The Fenland Drains?

Dave H

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All that bait secret stuff don't bother me on a drain or river especially with preds or anything really

My Zander on the Fens have been caught on dead baits. I find just like Pike (in general) the big ones are caught on a dead and I can't be bothered with that entire live baiting lark.

The main two baits are one vacuum packed and that is lamprey and the other is fresh trout from the mongers the night before. One is basically an eel which was behind the question do you catch may Eels. I had two areas. One was good with trout and the other was eel. If I found I was catching eels out went the lamps if not out went the trout.

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

All that bait secret stuff don't bother me on a drain or river especially with preds or anything really

My Zander on the Fens have been caught on dead baits. I find just like Pike (in general) the big ones are caught on a dead and I can't be bothered with that entire live baiting lark.

The main two baits are one vacuum packed and that is lamprey and the other is fresh trout from the mongers the night before. One is basically an eel which was behind the question do you catch may Eels. I had two areas. One was good with trout and the other was eel. If I found I was catching eels out went the lamps if not out went the trout.

Last season I had two or three doubles on Eel section, but only had three or four runs on it. I have tried Eel this season with no success at all, I think it works better mid March time as it is warming up, but thats when I stop targeting the Zander.

I have tried Lamprey, but have only caught Pike when using it. My favorite bait for the Zander is dead Rudd, Trout has been a good bait as well.

Last season I had two or three doubles on Eel section, but only had three or four runs on it. I have tried Eel this season with no success at all, I think it works better mid March time as it is warming up, but thats when I stop targeting the Zander.

I have tried Lamprey, but have only caught Pike when using it. My favorite bait for the Zander is dead Rudd, Trout has been a good bait as well.

I only really fished until December. The water is quite warm until then so what you say is probably right. I think it probab;y in March is no good either as the water will still be quite cold. It may be different in certain Areas. Looking at Johns catches i would have never have caught those species and that amount where i was. Horses for courses i think like on rivers

Sounds like a very hard place to fish.

Yeah, the boys are there and sticking in there mate. a pure example that it's not carpin from a day ticket. but when you do get one even a small one it's great. And they are in beautiful condition and better than any lake caught one.

Sounds like a very hard place to fish.

They can be, I have done very well this season on the areas I know, but the three trips on new areas, including last nights with John, I have struggled. I am wondering if john is a Jona LOL.

They can be, I have done very well this season on the areas I know, but the three trips on new areas, including last nights with John, I have struggled. I am wondering if john is a Jona LOL.

Some of can catch ok :D

Some of can catch ok :D

I wondered if you would be on AN instead of watching your tips. An ambidextrous angler !! :lol::lol:

Well the fens were challenging this weekend but I do enjoy a challenge.

headless and I did not do aswell as we hoped for zander friday night.

Saturday I fished for the silvers to see what was there. We spotted several roach topping first light and I has several bites during the day but only connected with 2 skimmers. I think all the bites were probably skimmers.

As it got dark I caught a bigger skimmer/bream of about 2lbs.

After dark I got 2 proper river bream when I weighed them one was 4.14 and the other 5.14. These are a good size for ten mile bank.

I added a further 6 biggish skimmers in the morning. I photographed the bigger bream and the morning catch.

Picture003-2.jpg

I nice comfortable spot although it was frozen both mornings.

Picture001-2.jpg

Saturday there were 2 anglers arrived early morning and left lunchtime the bailiff told me today they did not catch anything and today I walked to see 6 anglers downstream from me and none of them had caught anything. I say this not to say my angling skills are great rather to say that a small bag of fish gave me a lot of pleasure when the water is 20ft deep and 6 degrees C.

It certainly was a beautifull dawn and morning on the fens today.

Hopefully many more to come for me.

John