Vintage rod advice?

bromley

How many joints has the rod?

My two-joint Peter Stone ten-foot "Legerstrike" has porcelain-lined butt and tip rings............is the word "strike" on the rod a word of its own, or is it part of a longer word?

As others have said, a photo would be useful

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Nice one Bromley, glad you had a good day. :clap:

Compared with the more modern rods, see how differently an "old stick" reacts to a nice fish? (did the old cane come to life in your hands?).

They all do the same basic job at the end of the day and all have "a time and a place" but isn't it nice to relax and enjoy the experience now and then?

This is why I enjoy using a cane, a different form of fishing once again!

Don't pay too much attention to the odd "taunt".... it's generally not meant with any malice and most of them are wondering what's so different about an old cane.

Are you going to have another go with the cane and Mitchell?

Enjoy the tackle you are using at the moment (IMO it's perfectly matched for the job) and after a few sessions try an old "pin" on the rod. I will say one thing though and that your choice of "pin" will make one hell of a difference but if you can use a decent one you are in for another really enjoyable experience.

As for casting...stick with the two/three finger method to start with, the famed "Wallis Cast" is far from easy to learn.

I watched anglers on the bank for nearly two years, any video/Youtube and read everything I could lay my hands on regarding "Wallis casting"..... practised hard in the garden and was still defeated by the mystery and mastery of the cast. I searched the internet and "phoned" all the tackle dealers for miles around enquiring whether there was a Casting Tutor that could teach me. Nobody could help me.

I continued with the two/three finger method on my local river until one day, two years ago, an "old boy" wandered along the bank and introduced himself to me.

" I've been watching you fish for a while now and noticed that you use the old finger method. Have you ever thought about using the Wallis method?"

I told him of my endeavours to learn to which he replied....

"Would you like me to show you?"

After spending about twenty minutes showing and explaining the various parts of the cast he handed my rod back.

"There, put them all together and the timing will eventually come naturally as you start to feel what the tackle is doing".

Within the next three sessions I was comfortably managing to fish the far bank and when on the wider rivers, every now and then it all comes together and it just sails away!

The most important thing of all when learning is trying not to concentrate on the distance!

That was a very lucky day for me and I wish you the same. :thumbs:

He's a very close friend now and to watch him cast is a delight. I've a long way to go to be as good and relaxed as he is when casting but I do enjoy every moment "practising" (still learning!)! :D

"....you should have been here yesterday!"

Thanks for the feedback gents.

Vagabond, this is a three piece rod and it’s definitely a Lucky Strike. It’s got around half of the gold oval Allcocks label.

Wunwetfoot, yes, there did seem to a rather different sensation when playing the admittedly small carp on the cane rod as opposed to my usual carbon. Point taken about the Wallis cast. I guess it’s just a question of practice. I took up fly fishing a few years ago and it took some time before I learned how to cast properly. I fumbled for ages and then one day it suddenly clicked.