Life Priorities

davidP

Went karting with a group from work tonight. Sadly an hour in one of the drivers had what looks like a heart attack and I would imagine from the fact they'd been CPRing him for 20 minutes before the ambulance left that he's unlikely to have survived. Kind of brings home what's important in life and what isn't. So if you're a little overweight and under-exercised as many anglers are, do yourself and your family a favour and take a look at yourself and your lifestyle and see if you can help yourself.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ferret1959

Dave.

I think you are wasting your time telling folk your story.

As you know I have had cancer and tried to suggest to smokers they should give up.

How many do you think I have converted in to non-smokers????????

It won't take you long to come up with an answer.

I think no matter how much frightening folk in to sorting themselves out it's down to them if they want to stand a chance of living longer.

Similar sort of thing happened to a colleague of mine yesterday (although he was at home and not himself involved). The Missus and I had already decided that as of next Monday no Beer or Wine will be drunk midweek and more exercise will be taken. We also recently lost the last of our Bullmastiffs and I find that I'm missing the early morning walks on the moors so I'm thinking of getting another dog.

Paul

so a mate has an attack, another had a cancer scare, and you want people to take stock.

I had an accident which should have finished me off. It didnt, and i havent looked back, i take pride in the fact that i can see the day begin, and watch my children grow.

i smoke and drink more than i should. in the end death comes to us all, how we go doesnt really matter, whatmatters is that we are happy, be fat, have a smokers cough, have liver that you could wring out.

A very dear friend of mine died last year from lung cancer, he was 49. at first it made both my dad and i think. But because of how our friend was, we didnt give it a second thought.

Close calls happen, they either make you stronger, or make you wilt.

Your story is touching, but why do you try to make people feel guilty about being happy?

Ziffy:

Your story is touching, but why do you try to make people feel guilty about being happy?

Because we want people to stay happy. How happy will someone be lying on their back conected to tubes looking up at their loved ones? By taking care of yourself you can be happy longer, and be with those that love you longer. Fate will probably deal us a blow we weren't expecting, but lets not make it easier for him/it.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

ya'know the funny thing is, I have been hooked up to tubes in every orrifice, looking up at the ones i love, seen them crying, and huddling together like the end of the world is here, but that hasnt stopped me wanting to get another motorbike.

The only thing that made me think, was the fact that our dear friend was there, at my bedside, while he was dieing from cancer.

At the end of the day, people will live how they want to.

Live life how it is supposed to be, take each day as it comes. If you wake up the next morning, surely that is the only blessing you need.

Ziffy:

I'm not trying to make anybody feel guilty or indeed happy, and I didn't really expect to be criticised for gently suggesting that people should take care of their health. You've had your close call and survived which doubtless gives you a different viewpoint on life. The big difference however is that yours was an accident which was presumably outside your control, and that makes it a somewhat different scenario to leaving a wife and kids on their own for the sake of a little bit of health consciousness (and it doesn't take much to make a difference). If people are genuinely happy with themselves then they will do nothing and I wouldn't expect them to. If however they harbour the odd doubt then it would do no harm for them to examine them a little more closely, and then maybe they'll stand more chance of also being able to take pride in the fact that they can see the day begin, and watch their children grow.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

I understand what your trying to say, but i have my reservations about fitness, just look at poor Marc vivian foe, he was as fit and as strong as an ox, but he died from heart attack. So if someone that fit can suffer, anyone can, wether you are fat, thin, smoker or non smoker.

Fate/destiny is a bitch sometimes.

Ziffy:

ya'know the funny thing is, I have been hooked up to tubes in every orrifice, looking up at the ones i love, seen them crying, and huddling together like the end of the world is here, but that hasnt stopped me wanting to get another motorbike.

That's got to be the most selfish attitude I've come accross in a long time. Do the people that care that much about you know what your priorities are? I'm with davidp on this one and although ferret is probably right that's no reason to give up trying to get some sense of resposibility into others too concerned with their own pleasures to care about who picks up the emotional and financial bill.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk