Someone's disrupting Ebay auctions .........

PeterNE1

Like a few on here, I keep an eye on Ebay.

Specifically, I'm talking here about auctions for the better quality centre pins.

Over the past couple of weeks or so, someone (or perhaps a couple of idiots) seem Hell-bent on disrupting these specific auctions, bidding high, then retracting bids days later, then re-bidding etc - repeatedly, on multiple auctions. I've seen several sellers pull some very nice kit off sale because of their behaviour.

Unfortunately, Ebay allows these idiots to remain anonymous, BUT these 'buyers' seem well established, with quite high feedback numbers: I'm guessing that they may well be known and identifiable to others on here, perhaps?

There have been several more, but three current examples are here:

Hardy Conquest

Dave Swallow

Arnold Kingpin

To say they are making a habit of it is a massive understatement: 56 bid retractions in the last 30 days alone, yet they have 100% positive feedback on over 750 transactions, apparently!

Bidding details

Does anyone have any thoughts about what this guy is actually trying to achieve here? :angry: Can we name and shame him? :huh:

Like a few on here, I keep an eye on Ebay.

Specifically, I'm talking here about auctions for the better quality centre pins.

Over the past couple of weeks or so, someone (or perhaps a couple of idiots) seem Hell-bent on disrupting these specific auctions, bidding high, then retracting bids days later, then re-bidding etc - repeatedly, on multiple auctions. I've seen several sellers pull some very nice kit off sale because of their behaviour.

Unfortunately, Ebay allows these idiots to remain anonymous, BUT these 'buyers' seem well established, with quite high feedback numbers: I'm guessing that they may well be known and identifiable to others on here, perhaps?

There have been several more, but three current examples are here:

Hardy Conquest

Dave Swallow

Arnold Kingpin

To say they are making a habit of it is a massive understatement: 56 bid retractions in the last 30 days alone, yet they have 100% positive feedback on over 750 transactions, apparently!

Bidding details

Does anyone have any thoughts about what this guy is actually trying to achieve here? :angry: Can we name and shame him? :huh:

Is he getting his friends to push the numbers up, and getting the bids withdrawn when the scam doesn't work? It's not exactly an uncommon occurence, but surely a pattern of behaviour is building up which could be brought to Ebay's attention. Whether they will intervene is another matter entirely.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Is he getting his friends to push the numbers up, and getting the bids withdrawn when the scam doesn't work? It's not exactly an uncommon occurence, but surely a pattern of behaviour is building up which could be brought to Ebay's attention. Whether they will intervene is another matter entirely.

No, that's just the point, this doesn't seem to be shill bidding at all. The person concerned is placing and retracting bids across a lot of auctions, all from different sellers. The only purpose seems to be to disrupt the auctions as much as possible, and the only link I can establish is that this behaviour is occuring on many auctions that are selling centre pin reels in the upper price brackets.

I managed to talk to Ebay a few minutes ago on the telephone: it may (or may not!) be instructive to see what happens next!

No, that's just the point, this doesn't seem to be shill bidding at all. The person concerned is placing and retracting bids across a lot of auctions, all from different sellers. The only purpose seems to be to disrupt the auctions as much as possible, and the only link I can establish is that this behaviour is occuring on many auctions that are selling centre pin reels in the upper price brackets.

I managed to talk to Ebay a few minutes ago on the telephone: it may (or may not!) be instructive to see what happens next!

Is it possible that the perpetrator has several accounts, bids the item right up on the "dummy" accounts to deter other bidders, then retracts the bids at the death, leaving his "real" account as the winner at a much lower bid?

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

I've withdrawn several bids myself as i've thought this character has been bidding me up on behalf of the seller. Every time i've bid on a reel he seems to bid also....I was getting a bit paranoind :unsure:

I've withdrawn several bids myself as i've thought this character has been bidding me up on behalf of the seller. Every time i've bid on a reel he seems to bid also....I was getting a bit paranoind :unsure:

I've had exactly the same scenario, repeatedly :huh: It was the automated emails from Ebay, notifying me of retracted bids, that alerted me to them all being down to the same (two) accounts.

One possible answer may be to put the winning name on here and then we can all watch and work out how best to sort it out. I wonder if the stuff they have bought is appearing as a resale on ebay.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

One possible answer may be to put the winning name on here and then we can all watch and work out how best to sort it out. I wonder if the stuff they have bought is appearing as a resale on ebay.

That's the weird bit - he's not actually winning anything, just being bloody disruptive for everyone else! Can't even say that any one individual buyer is benfitting from what he's doing either - I'm seriously wondering whether he's simply getting his jollies from placing high bids, then retracting when he get cold feet ... or the meds start wearing off? :D

Maybe its a group how about an area is that the same as the winners, or maybe the items can be spotted appearing for resale. If not perhaps just put it down to a total prat and just complain to ebay if enough people complain then they might do something.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God