Hello From Northants

Melwest

Hi all,

Mrs Tinca here -or Melwest!

I live in Northants and have just taken up fishing!

My story is that whilst I was growing up with three strapping brothers,all taking turns to look after me on occasions,two of them took me fishing,obviously a fellas way of sitting the kids!,this I can tell you was an age ago ;) I have to be honest,I have never really been so interested in doing it again,you know,worms,maggots,yuk! However,we moved here 5 years ago and within our land is a largish pond,not huge like a lake,but about 80ft in width and up to 7-8ft deep in places.

Well,I said to my housemate(Chris) that I saw a big fish swim through the water,he argued and said I was going potty,at this time the water was relatively clear though we have never been able to see right down to the bottom.The fish I saw was quite big-for the size of pond,at a guestimate 8-10lb Tench-that's quite big seeing that back in the day the records of fish were quite low.i.e.Rudd was about 5lbs then,Tench was about 11lbs and the big carp,about 35lbs.

I keep seeing this fish movement and the pond is quite dirty now but you can always tell something larger than a tiddler whilst it is cruising under the surface.Anyhow,I thought to myself,I have to prove this to Chris as he is always pulling my leg over it,making the sounds of the jaws movie when we sit down by the pond.had enough so bought two rods off of the ebay for £20.00-vintage ones mind you,a Mitchell 410A and a few other bits to get Us going,as he has to do it aswell lol!

I do have a few questions for you all though,in the days of fishing with my brothers,they used Platil fishing line and I cannot find it anywhere,so I would like to buy the equivalent if at all possible and in brown as I like brown!

I have had a look on the ebay,hence why I have joined to ask you all,how many pages of line are there,over my head,I am not buying anything Chinese whatsoever Thank you,I would like a line suitable to catch a large Tench of around 10lbs,which hook size? and all this I would really like to know as I do not remember all of it,funnily enough the main things which stuck in my head all these years are,Scardinius Erythrophthalmus,Esox Lucius and all that latin stuff!

Look forward to hearing from you all!

Hi Melwest,

firstly, regarding breaking strains,a lot depends on the type of rod you've bought and how you intend on fishing.

Line type.... for general use I personally think you couldn't beat Maxima Chameleon which is available in a vast range of breaking strains. It's colour is dark to start with and will adapt to all water colours. Maxima Chameleon has stood the test of time and has been around for "donkey's years"!

For a float type rod a maximum B.S. (Breaking Strain) of 5lb would be suitable combined with careful adjustment of the slipping clutch (I wouldn't go to a higher B.S. higher as there would be a danger of your rod top snapping!)

For ledgering/bottom fishing you would need a suitable rod (avon type 1.25 TC (Test Curve) at least) on which I would recommend 8lb BS line.

Your water will also dictate what type of gear you would require ..... overhanging trees, waterlilly's, reeds etc all suggest sub-surface snags etc. Therefore you may even have to "uprate" to a Carp type rod (1.75lb TC) and a 10lb BS line.

Sorry, but you probably realise that it all starts to get a bit technical... but that's fishing for you!

I hope that the recommendations I've given you will be of use.

P.S. if you've got Tench of "about" 10lbs in your pond and ever consider selling tickets, please put me down for one before any one else! :thumbs:

"....you should have been here yesterday!"

Hi Melwest,

firstly, regarding breaking strains,a lot depends on the type of rod you've bought and how you intend on fishing.

Line type.... for general use I personally think you couldn't beat Maxima Chameleon which is available in a vast range of breaking strains. It's colour is dark to start with and will adapt to all water colours. Maxima Chameleon has stood the test of time and has been around for "donkey's years"!

For a float type rod a maximum B.S. (Breaking Strain) of 5lb would be suitable combined with careful adjustment of the slipping clutch (I wouldn't go to a higher B.S. higher as there would be a danger of your rod top snapping!)

For ledgering/bottom fishing you would need a suitable rod (avon type 1.25 TC (Test Curve) at least) on which I would recommend 8lb BS line.

Your water will also dictate what type of gear you would require ..... overhanging trees, waterlilly's, reeds etc all suggest sub-surface snags etc. Therefore you may even have to "uprate" to a Carp type rod (1.75lb TC) and a 10lb BS line.

Sorry, but you probably realise that it all starts to get a bit technical... but that's fishing for you!

I hope that the recommendations I've given you will be of use.

P.S. if you've got Tench of "about" 10lbs in your pond and ever consider selling tickets, please put me down for one before any one else! :thumbs:

Hi wunwetfoot!

Yes Thanks very much! there are willow tree's around the pond,plus a bridge to one end over a waterfall,only bull rushes live around the edges,the rods I bought off of the ebay are both 12ft with no names on them,both I believe are carbon fibre and vintage with cork handles and glass? rings where the line goes through,both are quite bendy,I do not know how to test what they are capable of.I purchased vintage items because this is what my brothers had and they always said they were good!

I think float fishing would be best in this pond only there is a lot of debris in the bottom,thick yukky sludgy stuff,about a foot of it! The pond is natural and has been here for most certainly 300 years,it is run from a natural spring somewhere,we also have a large lake behind us though it has been left inaccessible and no idea whom owns it.

I remember there were seasons when you were allowed to fish and at some stage you were not and the need for a licence? Do I need a licence and what are the laws for fishing on my own land?i.e. Could I start fishing now?or when the rest of the equipment arrives?I really appreciate the help!

p.s.That is something I have never thought of,you know,selling tickets!That is a really good idea!

Picture below of a fish I saw last year,it was around 1 foot long so only small though I have been unable to identify it,have not seen it this year yet! though I do have a flippin heron come down a lot.

post-24717-1336764420_thumb.jpg

The picture looks like a ghost carp.

If you want i get around most of northamptonshire if your not already on my doorstep would be happy to show you the basics.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Guest redfin2

Selling tickets was tongue in cheek I suspect, however if I would be happy just to 'enjoy' the fact there are carp in the pool rather than catching them, won't be too much enjoyment gained I suspect from such a small pond. However I have fished similar and have some good tench, but that was all.

Possibly the carp were flooded in from a nearby river or were a result of illegal stocking, if they appear to be gasping for oxygen, it might be a good idea to contact the EA and they could relocate them to somewhere more suitable?

Talking of EA you will need a rod licence to fish any waters whether privately owned or not, and word of caution carp even small ones can test the most experienced of anglers.

Perhaps you might consider turning the pond into a more 'typical' of British habitat, with the carp removed smaller indiginous (sp) species could be introduced, rudd, tench,perch and roach, perhaps? Also the water would be clearer without carp muddying the waters!! you would have good plants growing too that would attract a wide range of insects...just a thought.

Hi Melwest,

yes it's a Ghost Carp.

Before approaching any body of water with a fishing rod and the intention of fishing you are legally required to possess a full current Environment Agency Rod Licence

Concerning the tickets, there are lots of legalities to see to before you could do that!

I 've tried to send a message "off screen" but it seems that you haven't enabled your personal messenger yet (in your controls).

There are several points that I'd like to mention which can't be said "on screen".

Selling tickets was tongue in cheek I suspect, however if I would be happy just to 'enjoy' the fact there are carp in the pool rather than catching them, won't be too much enjoyment gained I suspect from such a small pond. However I have fished similar and have some good tench, but that was all.

Possibly the carp were flooded in from a nearby river or were a result of illegal stocking, if they appear to be gasping for oxygen, it might be a good idea to contact the EA and they could relocate them to somewhere more suitable?

Talking of EA you will need a rod licence to fish any waters whether privately owned or not, and word of caution carp even small ones can test the most experienced of anglers.

Perhaps you might consider turning the pond into a more 'typical' of British habitat, with the carp removed smaller indiginous (sp) species could be introduced, rudd, tench,perch and roach, perhaps? Also the water would be clearer without carp muddying the waters!! you would have good plants growing too that would attract a wide range of insects...just a thought.

Hi Redfin,"Possibly the carp were flooded in from a nearby river or were a result of illegal stocking"

What I know of the village is there used to be a monastery here and monks lived in the village all those years ago,my pond is some 300 yrs of age and so is the lake behind me,there are various large ponds dotted around,I learned that the Monks used to keep Carp for eating,the lake behind my has some really humungus fish in it,I have managed to go through the bramble hedge and look down over the lake on a summers day and the fish are just floating on the surface,I do know what a mirror carp looks like and one which was close to the bank was really large,like I could easily fit my hand in it's mouth and probably why the heron which lives there cannot take them,talk about jaws! they look pretty scary in their own way,just so huge,it is amazing to sit and watch them sucking on the surface.

I must try and find out whom owns the lake and if they are happy for fishing?-I really have no idea,like I said,i only started buying some kit because of the fish in my own pond.

I measured my pond this weekend and it is only and approximate 60ft wide and 100 ft long,one of my neighbours showed me how to measure the depth by holding a line across and he said it was rather like dapping but using a weight and float which rose to the surface,sounded a bot technical but looked easy enough,there are areas which are 10ft in depth and the most shallow is 4ft.

He also said to me about the bullrushes which always tend to move around on an evening,they shake quite violently and said I should ask what type of fish may do this?-they really look like someone has swan under water and is shaking the reeds around,quote odd when you are just sitting there i can tell you!

Hi Melwest,

yes it's a Ghost Carp.

Before approaching any body of water with a fishing rod and the intention of fishing you are legally required to possess a full current Environment Agency Rod Licence

Concerning the tickets, there are lots of legalities to see to before you could do that!

I 've tried to send a message "off screen" but it seems that you haven't enabled your personal messenger yet (in your controls).

There are several points that I'd like to mention which can't be said "on screen".

Hi Wunwetfoot,

how do I do that? I cannot see it in my control panel,please point me in the right direction :D

[Hi Melwest,

I'm quite new to AN myself but I have a feeling that it only becomes activated once you've completed your 15 "posts" to the Moderators satisfaction. (I may be totally wrong, maybe somebody could help out on this matter?)

I have activated a short-term web address through which you can contact me outside of AN.

Please Email me at

sdguard07-melwest@yahoo.co.uk and I'll give you my personal web address.