Dangers of particle baits

Sportsman

Its all a matter of balance and common sense - and even the open ocean has limits of how much organic matter can be dumped in it without some deleterious effect.

I completely agree Vagabond. However, since I was probably the only person pre-baiting that lake (it's not a common US practice) I figured it was safe enough.

On a small UK lake/pond I'd use small amounts. Here I'd likely be in a boat going to the fish rather than on the bank trying to get the fish to come to me unless I were targeting carp.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't do a lot of carp fishing, and when I do the only particles I ever use is the occasional tin of hemp. So I have no knowledge or opinion on the rights and wrongs of whether particles should be prepared.

However, when reading this thread I couldn't help but think that, if un-prepared particles were so dangerous for carp to eat, wouldn't countries where they see carp as an infestation, ie australia, wouldnt they just chuck in loads of dry particles?

:g:

D

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Regarding the 'how much is too much' question, I'd have to refer to public coarse fisheries for an idea. I'd hazard that the amount of rotting matter at the bottom of some ponds could be weighed in tonnes and take the colour and general texture of the water...yes, I said texture or perhaps viscosity would be more apt? I've felt stream water and it's thin, clean stuff, while the 'water' in some ponds is similar to caramel.

It seems to me that fish can and will survive in a pretty stinking environment, if the pollutant has time to build up. It's when pollutants are added to a water suddenly, therefore creating a scummy oxygenation problem, that fish death will occur, otherwise, they'll learn to live in it. Magiscroft, the Forth and Clyde, the Clyde are all pretty good examples of absolutely stinking environments, yet all 3 are absolutely leaping with fish.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...