weather or recession?

Cod eye

My local fisheries are reporting y-o-y losses of 20-50 per cent on day tickets. I guess it must be worse for companies selling tackle. Is that people feeling the pinch in the recession or the is the terrible weather keeping us off the banks?

It may be a bit of both. Hard to say without a space of good weather to see if the numbers improve substantially.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Chris Perch
It may be a bit of both. Hard to say without a space of good weather to see if the numbers improve substantially.

It could be more people find better value on club cards or bigger fish on syndicates etc.

And most people are going where they get best value.

Even a syndicate that charges 400 - 500 per year works out at £8 - £10 per week much cheeper than a weekly day or night ticket!!

The recession must be playing a major part in declining numbers of anglers actually fishing and the weather would not have helped much so far this year.

I know plenty of anglers who did have multiple club memberships but this season only joined one or two clubs that offered the fishing they wanted as they just cannot afford to join clubs/waters they may fish a few times a year.

I myself was offered five club books that I would have snapped up over the past few years but declined them all and stuck to two clubs that offer waters/species I want to target for a total cost of £90.00.

I did have a plan to fish a day ticket water once a month when one of the clubs had matches on - this would have cost me approx 84.00 @ 7quid a go - I had a think and on these days if I have fished have fished the other clubs waters which I have already paid for.

And then there are fuel costs..................

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

i think many peoples are looking for good value for money now and so are cutting back on day ticket fishing and the number of club tickets they have

i think it is a little of both if you only have a little money to spend on fishing thern you might as well spend it when the waether is nice and not when it is not so good and not as much fun to be fishing

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur