River Nene... zander and barbel

fenboy

I'm hoping users of this forum can help with some info on two "new" species in the River Nene.

Zander first appeared in the River Nene above Peterborough about 25 years ago. They could have arrived via the river's connection with the Middle Level system, but more likely as a result of illegal introductions. Either way, they initially thrived, with lots of small zander being caught to Orton and beyond. They also became established in the large gravel pits known as Ferry Meadows Lakes, which are connected to the Nene in this area.

But I haven't heard of many fish moving far upstream from here. I know there are locks on the Nene, but such was their spread through the Fens in the 60s and 70s I'm surprised they haven't developed more of a wanderlust.

So, I'm hoping anybody with a knowledge of the Nene in all areas - Northampton, Wellingborough, Thrapston, Oundle, etc - can tell me whether they have heard of any zander captures in their areas.

And, while we're at it, I'm interested in the barbel situation, too. A very small number of barbel have been present in the Nene for many years - I can recall a 12-pounder being caught and accurately weighed and witnessed (and photographed by ANgling Times) about 1969.

Then, in the early 1990s, large numbers of yearling barbel from Calverton hatchery were introduced by the NRA (forerunner of the EA) in various streamy sections and backwaters all along the river.

Anybody know what happened to them?

Thanks for reading this... I look forward to any replies.

Fenboy

Guest Ferret1959

Plenty of Zander at Nassington,Wansford areas.

If you get on the A47/A1 area and fish at night you will have plenty of zander and eels on dead bleak using a single hook. :)

That's brilliant, thanks. So zander have reached Nassington? Has anyone heard of any further upstream yet? I do wish they'd get a move on...

Regarding barbel, that link was brilliant. I too saw some of the small fish stocked, about 12 years ago. I watched them being placed in the fast backwater on the outskirts of Oundle, by Barnwell Country Park. I think the stretch is - or at least was - controlled by a works angling club known as Mobbs Miller. I wonder how big they are now... assuming they haven't been eaten by the big carp in the same area (only joking).

Fenboy