Organic Prawns!

Guest Elton

Guest Vagabond

No mate, its preserved in oil, grease, blood and sweat (all organic, and some of the last two items were originally mine!)

BTW we burn coal (organic coal of course wink.gif), and its amazing how many youngsters have never seen coal before......

------------------

Vagabond

Ere I go away for day and its all changed! .... logging on?

Which brings me to 1 of 2 points!

1. Language like everthing evolves, always has, always will, we can influence it but like Canute cannot hold it back. Must say tho that I agree that the use of Organic is a strange choice when it also describes the very chemicals that organic farmers do not use. (and another... logging didnt that mean something else once?!)

2. Well managed organic farms are not about producing 3 spuds per acre! its about managing the agricultural environment in a sustainable way, just like we want to happen in our fisheries.

Spraying insecticides that kill helpful and harmful pests is in my book no better than trawlers commercially exploiting the sand eel. It creates a break in the food chain with unknown and but probably catastophic results. Also believe me the chemicals our farmers use are not nice, Given a choice I'd rather not eat them! but I dont want to be taken for a ride by some supermarket labelling Prawns as organic, or sugar as low in fat! either. Ever thought why there are so few song birds about now? or what all that nitrate run off does to the rivers?

OK... Ive got that off my chest now, rant over! :D

Dan...Not a freak or weirdo but someone who thinks we have a responsibility to look after our planet.

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Dan - yup. Sustainable ag and done w/o pestacides is a great thing. And yes, I have seen some nice yields as well.

But "organic prawns"??? Of course they are organic - as is any other living thing. Raised w/o pestacides - probably. But I can't imagine them being planted in the ground.

Which reminds me of a Joke. You need to know that the featured university, Texas A&M (for ag & mechanical) isn't known for producing rocket scientists. And a 7 course meal there is a fried possum and a 6 pack of beer. Anyway, on to the joke.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Charlie graduated from Texas A&M as an ag major. When he finished, he became a farmer as he had always wanted to do.

At the end of the first growing season, he called the professor who had been his advisor during college. Poor Charlie was very upset.

Charlie" Prof, you gotta help me. Something is wrong and I can't figure it out.

Prof: Charlie, tell me the problem and we can get it solved.

Charlie: You know I started farming this year. I tried to raise chickens. But they all died.

Prof: Well, explain what you did with them and let's see if we can find what went wrong.

Charlie: I took 10,000 baby chickens, planted them neck deep in freshly turned soil, and watered them every day.

Prof: Well that's it then. Next time, don't water so often.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Nice one Newt! I know a few farmers like that! Funnily enough I was in Sainsburys yesterday (supermarket) and over heard a conversation between two folks from our rural community, it went something like this (you have to imagine a thick Devon accent):

Bloke: "Wheres that washing powder she wants"

Woman: "No idea, whats it caled?"

Bloke: "cant remember"

Woman: "oh...dass, I think"

Bloke: "Daz? thats it there, but it says biological"

Woman: "whats that mean then"

Bloke: " Dunno somthing to do with animals I think"

Woman: "cant be that then"

So there you have it, we could start a whole new thread on Biological Washing Powder, They were certainly confused!

Why is it called "Biological"?!! No living cells in there I think!

Dan :D:D

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Dan:

.... (you have to imagine a thick Devon accent) ....

Sorry Dan - when I imagined a thick Devon accent and tried to read it, I couldn't understand a word you had written.

Made perfect sense when I tried again with a thick Redneck accent though. Whew. I was getting worried. :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Of course the opposite end of the scale is Genetic Engineering.

Evidently KFC paid millions to have a chicken with 8 legs produced as their most popular line was Drumsticks.

However, fears that the flavour might be impaired were not proven, because noone could ever catch 1!

Zip

Trev - :D:D:D:D