River ESK Near Whitby

peterpikefisher

Hi Guys &Gals Looking for info on the above as i am being forced to holiday in the area by

(the Wife) wot she don't know is the holiday park she booked is right next to the river esk

! OH Dear i will just have to sneak in a couple of 3 piece rods and some bits of tackle

so im looking for info such as species tactics etc

thanks pete

• Like 1

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

Long time since I was in that area, but as far as I am aware that is trout, sea trout and salmon territory...

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Nick's right: the Yorkshire Esk is game fishing only. There are a few free stretches worth a dabble, with the Lealholm village the best one, as I remember (although it's been a few years...). Here's a link to a site with more details - http://www.dofreefishing.com/northeastdales.html

If you don't mind a drive, there are some good free stretches on the Tees for coarse fish. If you'd rather fish a pond or lake there are few places that aren't in club hands, but I'll be happy to help out with directions to those which can be fished on a day ticket. Most are a bit of a drive from the Esk area though, Peter. If you let me know where you are staying I can be more precise.

For instance: if you don't mind the drive to the outskirts of Scarborough (20 miles or so from Whitby), Wykeham lakes is home to some monster pike in a dedicated predator lake, plus they have carp and match venues containing other species.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Hi Peter - a holiday around the Whitby area may well suit you more than you think ... it's actually a very nice place to spend time, with or without a rod! As Nick said, the Esk is predominently a game river, but unless you are hell-bent on fishing freshwater only I'd suggest you seriously consider having a dabble in the salty stuff, as there is good fishing to be had there (with good access too!), both within the confines of Whitby itself from the piers, and along the adjacent shorelines ... or go mad and get youself out on one of the many boats that leave the harbour each day ... for fuller details, I'd suggest you go sideways into the Sea Fishing Forums and ask in there.

Personally, I'd stick in a decent lure rod - the sort of thing you would use for pike ... depending on the time of year that you will be there, bass are spread quite widely along the coast there, and definitely catchable on lures from the shore and rocks (with care) ... though I doubt anyone will volunteer specific locations :-)

That said, if you're happy to go walkies with the rod, location is often not too difficult ... south of the harbour is mostly rocky shoreline (accessable at lower tides) backed by massive cliffs: head north and you've a couple of miles of flat sandy beach ... until you reach Sandsend, which is in itself a popular beach mark.

The Esk also holds a head of grayling but no other coarse fish species apart from eels of which there are some that go over 3lb odd, there is quite an amount of free fishing to be had as well as day tickets to purchase

If you're thinking of fishing more than a couple of days duration it might pay you to purchase a season ticket for Danby Angling club as might work out cheaper than the cosr of 3 or more day permits

Theres plenty of brown trout fishing as well as salmon and sea trout to go at, let me know if you require info for some of the free bits

thanks guys ain't into the game fishing these days but do like a bit of Sharking (PB 185 LB Mako ) so i might have a go with the sea fishing

will have a wee search on Google see what turns up boat hire wise and a gander on the sea fishing forum here.

cheers Pete

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif