angling in Germany

tanglenet2004

Note tanglenet2004, Hoppy4 is an American who has been working (and fishing) in Germany for quite a few years and is certainly as current on their regulations as it is possible to be.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to far from the area I know best (Hameln,Neinburg,Rienteln).An hours or so drive but I would reccomend you have a days fishing on the River Wasser.A great venue for some general fishing.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

River Weser I think you mean don't you Budgie? Have some fantastic fishing memories of fishing this mighty river as a lad around Minden and Rinteln. Determined to go back sometime.

BTW If any of you noticed Bruno mentioning the course literature after following Leon's link. It's also now available on CD-ROM and is very good for all you Deutsch sprecher out there.

Paul

Guest sslatter

The "no returns" policy brought in under Green pressure (the Greens have lots of political clout in Germany- much different from here) has totally changed the face of angling in Germany. On lakes where once you would see hundreds of pleasure anglers, weekend matches with 200-300 competitors, etc etc, now you see nobody.

I spoke to a Hamburg tackle dealer, who said that the english influence (sic) on their own coarse fishing (catch-and-release, barbless hooks, match rods, etc), which had been very strong, particularly in the Army areas, was now negligible. This had been reflected in his stock: 20 years ago, he would have been selling piles of match gear, of (his words) "english-style" tackle. Nowadays, 75% of his stock is lure-fishing related, and most of his customers now just want to go spinning and catch fish for the pot.

If you get to fish out there Tangle you might get to catch one of these (top fish in picture) it is a Russ Nase or Nase for short.Some times confused with the much rarer Zharte.

Posted Image

It gets its name (nase is German for nose)from the nose like the bump on its face .A bit like the salt water Cajellen or Captain Fish.Used to catch these,average weight around 3-4lbs on the maggot feeder.Good hard fighting fish.

Grahams comments are very true.Whilst I was stationed out in Germany 82-86 there was a very strong match scene amongst the military.Local anglers were very influenced by this,especially the younger ones.As well as our tackle and tactics many adopted our catch and release ideal.Even back then there were some areas that had a "kill all" policy but keepnets often "slipped in" after the weigh in.Once the Green Party came in (after I had returned to the UK) these kill all policies were policed a lot more.This pushed most of the major Army fishing matches out of Germany to Denmark and Belgium.A great shame as any of you who came across in the old UK closed season to fish the big open matchs will know.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

tanglenet2004, That is not my area by any means, but Budgie and the others have given Good advice. I hope that all goes well for you during your trip. If you have the time, please let me know and I will try to arrange something down in my area for you while you are here.

HOPPY4

[ 19. January 2005, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: HOPPY4 ]

HOPPY