swivel knot

Stefan

That's the way I do it. I'm sure that's the way PowerPro describe a grinner/uni knot too.

Click Here for Power Pro description

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't learnt the grinner knot yet and instead use a knot I saw in John Wilson book he calls the Masheer knot. It's simply a ½ blood, but first you make a small loop above the eye by putting the line twice through it and then pass the loose end this loop. As long as you don't make more than four turns, I find it tightens well and is very strong.

I promise to try a grinner knot one day though!

[ 04. June 2004, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Lid ]

Honestly, the Grinner is a dawdle if you have a couple of goes at it. It took me about 4-5 goes to get it absolutely spot on and now I rarely use anything else. It's bloody strong.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Blinkin' flip!

That's an advocate for the knot if I've heard one.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Would agree that the grinner is a superb knot **but** I do experience the occasional problem when tying light(2lb. bs) nylon to small(16/18) hooks. Occasionally when you test the knot after tying you get a breakage at the knot itself.

Upon retying usually the second try is fine. Maybe as Budgie says the doubled line through the eye is causing the problem. Also I find with the lighter lines as you tighten the knot the loop of line between knot and hook eye can twist, surely this can't be doing it any good?

Jim.

Hi Jim, I note your point about grinner knot being no good for fine line and small hooks. This I agree with but have to ask why, with such small hooks you are not whipping the hook to the line? This can be done even with eyed hooks and IMHO give a better presentation.

Stephan's original question was regarding knots to swivels and I stand by my fist post on this thread.

Cheers, Peter.

When you tighten the loop, it doesn't have to be pulled that tight . The finished knot merely acts as a clinch. There is nowhere for the tightened loop to go. When the tightened loop is formed, just bring it together and no more. Now moisten the gap between tightened loop and the hook and gently draw together. The tightened loop shouldn't stranglulate the mainline, which I suspect, is the reason for the damage.

Does that makes sense??

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...