Carnage in the keepnet!

Pangolin

Went fishing, recently, without my daughter, who usually accompanies me. At her request, I set up a keepnet to save everything I caught that day, so that when her mum drove her to meet me at the end of the day, she'd be able to see the fish. It wasn't a bad day: a couple of roach, a bream and three gudgeon all went into the net. Just as the light started to fade I hooked into the fish of the day, which fought like mad, and turned out to be a two-and-a-half pound perch. Knowing how pleased my daughter would be to see that one, I popped it into the net as well. Only a half hour later, I was lifting the net out, to display the catch. Yes, you've guessed, where were the gudgeon? Inside the perch, I think! I found it remarkable that the perch would eat three gudgeon in half an hour, and so soon after being caught. The gudgeon were all of a similar size, around four inches long, and couldn't have got out of the net any other way.

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

Are you absolutely sure you didn't have a hole in your net?

You'd be surprised how small a hole a gudgeon could wriggle through. Check your net. I think it very unusual that a perch would feed in the keepnet over such a short period of time. I may be wrong, could anyone enlighten us? :confused:

Putting a big perch in a net with its most favourite prey fish species bar none :rolleyes:

It's like putting a lion in a cage with some gazelles :rolleyes:

Does Dolly Parton sleep on her back? :D

Is live-baiting permitted?! If yes ...hmmmmm ..tempting. Must be some very big perch in there

DG

[ 30. January 2004, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

quote:

Originally posted by Pangolin:

I found it remarkable that the perch would eat three gudgeon in half an hour, and so soon after being caught.

I believe top lure-angler Prof Barrie Rickards once caught a big pike with a spoon and as he was getting it into the net, realised that there were a pair of moorhen's legs sticking out of its mouth. That is remarkable, no?!

DG

[ 30. January 2004, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

It certainly is remarkable Diamond, a bird eating BIKE. Whatever next? A sheep eating tractor!!! :D