How many of you have your own sites

Guest gray-catchpole

Originally posted by duttyo:

I've set up a web site at www.fortunecity.co.uk/campus/computing/457  it's got nothing to do with fishing. i set it up for the christian union at school.

Hi ,

I hope you don't mind me mentioning??

the page is 141k, which takes about 30-40 secs to load.

I had loads of grief with publisher too, and found out that if bits overlap, Publisher gets confused and just makes a huge picture instead.

Anyways, hope you don't mind, if you shuffle the blocks around the page will be a LOT quicker to load

Cheers

Liam

Guest gray-catchpole

yea my uncle has just started using publisher after years of pure html, and he found exactly the same problem, but apparently there is a tester, in publisher to test for things like that, give me dreamweaver anyday smile.gif

user.gif

------------------

gray-catchpole

http://catchpole.cjb.net

mailto:catchpole@go-fishing.co.ukcatchpole@go-fishing.co.uk

Originally posted by gray-catchpole:

yea my uncle has just started using publisher after years of pure html, and he found exactly the same problem, but apparently there is a tester, in publisher to test for things like that, give me dreamweaver anyday  smile.gif

user.gif    

Ah yes !

Brings it all back...

also I think it flashes red if things overlap?

How I learnt HTML, and pretty damned quick too biggrin.gif was because I used Publisher to make a site, then in my infinite wisdom deleted

the MAIN file that the pages are generated from.

D'oh !!!

No backups of course !

Sooo that was my introduction to pure HTML

Cheers

Liam

Guest Keith Finn

Right you Guys, Ear bending time.

What programs are you using to make your sites. I am totally computer illiterate and most of the time do not know what any of you are talking about!.

I have had my P.C. for five years now and in all that time it has been just a glorified typewriter , used mainly for letterheads, work and playing around with photos,.

Now , after finally getting a fax/modem and logging on with freeserve, I have got webspace ,what the hell do I do to set myself up with a site.

I have tried and tried but basically I don't know what I am doing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated>

Guest gray-catchpole

hi keith

i use a program called dreamweaver, its sort of like a glorified desk top publishing program, but much more powerfull, but i wouldnt recoment it for out and out beginers, as placement can be tricky.

i recomend you get hold of microsofts publisher as its really easy to get into and use, if you need any help, mail me as it can get complicated, i will do my best to help you

------------------

gray-catchpole

http://catchpole.cjb.net

mailto:catchpole@go-fishing.co.ukcatchpole@go-fishing.co.uk

Hi Keith,

When I teach people how to do web sites at the mental health drop-in, I use WORD for windows and save the file as HTML.

Then use ws-ftp or Cute to put it on the internet.

People cannot believe how easy it is to do!

Complete beginners too.

(they are basic web pages, BUT from there people can either learn more about Word (which is useful anyways) or move to Frontpage (Its a micro$oft built in thing )

or Dreamweaver as Gray says, but I don't know anything about it.

Cheers

Liam

Guest Ian Cresswell

Hi All,

The problem with Frontpage is that all Frontpage sites look the same. If you're not concerned about that then it's probably the best place to start.

I use the Namo web editor which has FTP built into it. I then alter any HTML that I don't like by hand. It's not a perfect or even comprehensive tool but it works for me.

Any other FTP is done using Cute. As for other server changes ... raw Telnet suffices.

I also predominantly use JBuilder for any GUI based java (e.g. applets). I still use emacs and the JDK 1.2 from the command line for anything else (JDBC and servlet stuff for instance). Not madness ... this is stuff that is standard across many O/S's.

For ActiveX development VC++ and VB are my tools of choice. VJ++ is the work of the devil ... platform dependent java!!!

I also use Photoshop for any graphical stuff that I need.

I think that about covers it smile.gif

Cheers,

Ian.

Guest Keith Finn

Looks like I'm going to have to buy a book.

There too many long words and abbreviationns in the above post to understand.

Gray- Cathpole

Put a page up on my webpage to test that I was doing something right, now it wont let me back in again to do anything else!!!!.

The upload bit keeps telling me that there is already a site with that name. I know that , it's mine and I want to change things.

Damn stupid computers!!!!!

I was using front page express but I do have to admit I am totaly computer illiterate.

Keith

My site is done with frontpage 2000 but I have got myself dreamweaver and cant get it to accept the ful serial number in the personalise section so until I fix it it is 2000 for me.