MOT Certificate & car tax

davidP

Ferret?

A motor vehicle does not need an engine to be described as such! The law states? A motor vehicle, capable of being driven by an engine? Taking the engine out of a vehicle makes it a lump of scrap?

Would you like it described as `Fly tipping`? Or a motor vehicle causing an obstruction to the public highway?

Fly tipping might cost you £400. Causing an obstruction might cost you as much plus points on your license if you were proven to be the person that owned said vehicle?

Very dodgey this point of law?

My local authority would charge you £400 plus removal charges! The biggest charge this year was £780!!

Well, the owner wanted the car back? He didn`t get it. Cost him extra charges.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record there was no problem with the tax and they didn't even look at the insurance form! My wife must look trustworthy :D

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Ferret1959:

If a car has no engine would it still need T&T and insurance?

I seem to remember that the definition of motor vehicle has been clarified by case law, for example taking the plugs out doesnt count, its still mechanically propelled, but if its written off in an accident and is incapable of being driven its not and no tax or MOT required, insurance may be another issue, not my forte.

But if you take out an engine I'm not sure, I guess it will depend on circumstances, ie if you take out a beetle engine (20 mins) with the full intention of putting it back fixed that after noon you'd be unlikely to win the arguement but if it had thrown a rod and you were waiting for the scrapper you might get away with it. The guys that prosecute for car tax live at the local VRO ask them they should help and have an obligation to under the principles of open government!

I'd always advise anyone to store an unroadworthy vehicle off the road, borrow a (good!) mates garage or yard. Its not just tax and insurance you should be aware of but public liability (little old lady gashes her leg on your rusty bumper), obstruction of the highway, our friends in blue like that one!, tipping/abandoning a vehicle and local bylaws about fixing cars on the road can all cause expensive probs.

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com