OEM versions of windows??

Chris Goddard

I need to purchase a new windows disk. Is it just me or are thw OEM versions sold only by manufacturers of machines? And so cannot be registered by an individual??

The reason I ask is that I have had occasion to ask Microsft for support on IE6 and the response was that the disc I have is registered to a "Large company" which is no longer trading and as such the support has ceased to be!! They will offer support but for the princely sum of £45!! Hence my question!! Or will any disc do as long as it has not previously been registered??

Thanks

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Nope. The OEM versions are well branded - so easy for M$ to identify.

And they have not ever supported the OEM versions. That is how they can provide the large OEMs like Gateway, Dell, etc. with cheap bulk licenses for the OS. No support costs to M$.

However, the usual ID by support is via the serial number so you might be able to use one (just the serial number rather than giving them yours) from someone owning a retail copy and get free support that way. Maybe.

Prior to XP you could even get away with using a non-oem serial number to register your copy at install time. Not a good idea now though. If you ever had to do a reinstall you could easily find yourself with a PC that would no longer work. At all.

[ 05. September 2002, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Chris Goddard:

I need to purchase a new windows disk. Is it just me or are thw OEM versions sold only by manufacturers of machines? And so cannot be registered by an individual??

The reason I ask is that I have had occasion to ask Microsft for support on IE6 and the response was that the disc I have is registered to a "Large company" which is no longer trading and as such the support has ceased to be!! They will offer support but for the princely sum of £45!! Hence my question!! Or will any disc do as long as it has not previously been registered??

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

What was the problem with IE6?

Colin

More like what wasn't!! I installed it from a cover cd some months ago and recently had to check the version number for something. I then discovered I was still with 5.5 although O/Xpress had gone to version 6 and they were both installed at same time.

However I digress! I logged on to MS site and downloaded IE6. I installed IE6. I got an error message saying "An error etc., etc., while calling function DllInstall" and then gave an address. It (the PC) then proceeded to re-boot and then when I logged onto IE I got an error message with the helpful box saying a fault had been found and that a report would be sent to MS and that I should follow a link to a remedy!!?

I followed the link, the information was duly followed and ??? The file did not exist!! But then the computer re-booted and started again with the rather helpful info that IE6 had not installed correctly and I would have to re-boot and install again!? So I did and It did!! and so it went on for several re-boots!! Till I realised that a re-boot message had been put into my start-up menu and was banished henceforth to the toilet icon!!

So here I am without the benefit of IE6, requiring either £45 for help or another windows disk which is not an OEM version for which I can obtain some help!!

If you have any ideas?? please do not hesitate to send them. But be aware I do not have much money!? (saving for a PROPER!! disk).

The fault incidentally is a known one by MS and the advice was there to fix it but obviously does not work!! I am now also getting pages with varying symbols littering the desktop when I log onto a lot of sites and a little icon on the tray saying "Done but with errors" as if I did not know!!

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Newt:

Prior to XP you could even get away with using a non-oem serial number to register your copy at install time.  Not a good idea now though.  If you ever had to do a reinstall you could easily find yourself with a PC that would no longer work.  At all.

Hmmmmm... But look what I found: http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dTyp...e=guide&dId=350 :D:D

--

Be Kind To Your Children, They Get To Pick Your Nursing Home.

I have had quite a few problems with IE6 but not the same as you. I have now binned it and gone back to IE5.0.

Newt posted some answers relevant to the problems I had.

Basically IE6 doesn't have Java scripting so some pages are not accessible, so download free Java program from Sun website www.java.sun.com/getjava

I still don't trust the damn thing so I haven't reinstalled IE6. Shame because the export and import features were quite useful.

If you want a cover disk that works mail me your address and I will post it to you [no charge]

Colin

Chris - go to http://www.windowsbbs.com/ and do a search on uninstall in the Internet Explorer/Outlook Express section. You should bet links to about 80 threads dealing with various issues and the few I took a quick look at seemed like they might help you out.

If not, join the bbs and post your question there. You should get a good answer from one of the IE/OE gurus. It isn't an area I know as well as some of the other posters on the bbs.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks Colin/Newt I did go to the BBs Newt where I am a member but the advice I got was non too exciting?! But I never thought of the archives! Thanks!! (Again!!)

Colin I will send you my details and If you wouldn't mind sending the disc I would be most grateful!! I did have one but find it?? More chance of plaiting fog!!

Chris

Chris Goddard