I need some (Serious!!) HELP!!

Chris Goddard

I have just been ousted as the chairman of my local club. I was voted out by means of a vote of "No Confidence" now whilst I believe that the vote was democratic the reasons behind It are a bit strange to say the least!! What I need is some legal advice I think really?? I was also slandered at the meeting and am not very happy about that either!! But that is another matter. My real dillemma is that the local press have asked me to "send" them a few details and they will run a story. Should I or Should I not? But the bottom line is that at the time of ordering £15,000 worth of fish for re-stocking our waters I was chairman of the club!! Now I do not wish to be found liable for these fish, but It boils down to this - The majority of the remaining members do not want these fish stocked!!

So I really need some serious advice!! Any lawyers lurking out there could advise me??

The down side to this is that I am Flying to America on tuesday next for 3 weeks and am not going to be able to field this myself!!

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

First of all Chris i am not a lawyer but my advice to you about the press, SAY NOTHING TO NOBODY mate you know how the press change things to sell the paper.

As for the legal side mate sorry cannot help you on that one

Good luck mate

Jangar

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Guest NickInTheNorth

Chris have you a copy of the club rules and constitution? Can you post them, or email them

The answers to your problem probably lie in those documents.

Also do you have trustees responsible for matters relating to ownership of the club assets etc?

As Jangar said I would be very wary about speaking to the media about any of this at this stage.

NickInTheNorth:

Chris have you a copy of the club rules and constitution? Can you post them, or email them

The answers to your problem probably lie in those documents.

Also do you have trustees responsible for matters relating to ownership of the club assets etc?

As Jangar said I would be very wary about speaking to the media about any of this at this stage.

True!! Which due to the circumstances I think I will pass on the Editors suggestion.

Something I forgot to mention was that several colleagues also walked In sympathy! And two of those were deemed to have resigned from the committee. But not the others who walked as well?

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Dragonbat:

Chris,

You need Philip Dean I think he is one of those Leagle Eagles.

and say nought about ought

You out there Phillip??

Any other club chairmen/persons out there??

Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard:

My real dillemma is that the local press have asked me to "send" them a few details and they will run a story. Should I or Should I not?

As has been suggested - be wary of the press. Not just because they tend to report in a way that suits themselves but also consider the effect of going into print on the other party. If it's simply going to antagonise the other side and make matters worse then it isn't worth it. At the end of the day it's odds-on there'll be some bridges to be repaired - best not to destroy them completely.

If you do decide to do it however make sure that everything you say is noted/recorded and that everything you say is 100% correct and accurate.

quote:
I was also slandered at the meeting and am not very happy about that either!!
Unfortunately this seems more or less par for the course these days. Unfortunately unless you're prepared to risk a rediculous amount of money on lawyers and the like the most you can hope for is an apology and that's unlikely because their pride and feelings on the matter are probably just as strong as yours.

quote:
But the bottom line is that at the time of ordering £15,000 worth of fish for re-stocking our waters I was chairman of the club!! Now I do not wish to be found liable for these fish, but It boils down to this - The majority of the remaining members do not want these fish stocked!!
Presumably the decision to order these fish was a democratic one, correctly proposed and approved by whatever approval body exists within the club (comittee, delegates, membership - whichever). If this decision making process was followed correctly then I don't see that you could be liable. At most you'd be jointly liable with the rest of the committee which presumably still includes some of those who conspired against you. Make sure you have a copy of the relevant minutes.

If the remaining members want to cancel the order then that is now down to them, and I don't see how you could be held liable for any cancellation expenses when it was a democratically approved decision to order the fish in the first place.

Please note that I am not a lawyer or anything legal - just talking from experience & hopefully common sense!

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Chris

If you are a member of ACA phone them and speak to the in-house lawyer. We were discussing just this situation at an EA conference in Reading three weeks ago.

The outcome will depend on the club constitution and the committee minutes approving the purchase. If you ordered the fish without committee approval, then I am sorry to say that you are on a loser. If the committee approved the purchase, you were then acting as an agent of the club and the club remain liable. But get in touch with ACA in the first instance before you do anything else.

Mike Heylin

Secretary Boxmoor & District AC

[ 16 March 2002, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: waterman1013 ]

Join the SAA today for only £10.00 and help defend angling.