Alternatives To Broadband?

Elton

The chances of us getting regular broadband in this village in the next decade are pretty slim!

I've heard mention before of a satellite alternative - does anyone know anything about it and/or have any experience of it? i.e. do you know, for real, if it's any good?

Cheers,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Cheers, Geordy. Now having a look. They plan to launch this in March - anyone know if they are the first to do so?

All the best,

Elton

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Hmmmm..."Local call charges apply". I'm really after something that's "all in", as I am generally connected at least 12 hours a day.

Guest NickInTheNorth

Elton

Are you wanting fast upload speeds (away from your PC) or fast download speeds (to your PC).

If it's upload you would be better with ISDN/Highway at 128k, if you want to download quickly then the satelite option is pretty good. There are quite a few companies already in the market, but http://www.everywherebroadband.com/ebb.html is MUCH cheaper than anything else I've seen on offer so far. (previous best about £200 installation and £50+ per month).

I works well with some qualifications:

There are some sites were you just won't be able to see the satelite (basically you need to be able to see the sky to the south at an elevation of about 22.5 degrees, you do get periods when you will loose the signal, usually only for seconds at a time, the file upload capability is quite patchy and doesn't work brilliantly with FTP.

On the whole if you need good upload capabilty and have another option then go for it (even ISDN) for download it's pretty good.

Me I'm getting it installed in the spring, but haven't yet deceided on who from, and I don't have any other options, I must improve on my 26.7k modem connection speed.

Have you had a look at ADSL services? Faster than ISDN but don't know how much the service providers charge for installation etc.

Paul

Guest NickInTheNorth

You can only get ADSL if the exchange has been enabled. Rural ones in general are not yet enabled and are unlikely to be in many cases for at least several years.

Mind you I reckon Elton should wander down to Martlesham labs and see if they want to do a trial of some new technology on his property. There must be some serious fibre optic cable in his area.

In my case it will never be enabled, and I cannot even get ISDN!

Good point Nickinthenorth, forgot that BT still operate in the stone age.......

Paul

Elton, probably a silly question, but have you checked the BT line for adsl ?

It used to be that you had to be within 3miles of exchange, but it now appears to be 5 miles, so it may be worth checking again,

Tiscali are doing FREE connection and modem for a short while.

As I only signed up in October I am going to ask that I get it for free as well (I can only try!)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Elton - in general

Sat. is better by far than dial-up. But more problems and not as good as DSL of any sort. And DSL is slower (usually) than cable.

Sat. will stay the same speed regardless of the number of users. And you usually have to pay more for more speed if it is even an option. But you can get a receiver for your auto and have access any time you want to park and aim the dish. So surf while you fish. :D

DSL (including ADSL) will stay the same speed regardless of the number of users. But you have to pay extra for more speed (at least over here that is the case).

Cable acts like a large LAN so the more users in an area, the slower because the available bandwidth will be divided among all the users. Expect it to be blazing fast if you sign up early and to slow as more an more folks are added to the same circuit.

Eventually the cable speed will drop to the point that the provider has to add more lines and it will become fast again. For a while.

[ 31. December 2002, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President