can I change computer

hoppy

On the computer Im using at the moment, I use NTL cable connection for my web browsing and emails, If I get a laptop, can I plug it into my ntl cable modem, and switch between the 2 when I want to and just carry on as normal, or would I have to set it up as a new connection :rolleyes: cheers hoppy :cool:

My Wine cellar is empty, Well, the Bottles in there are...Hic

Doing it the way you describe will depend on the way your ISP has things set up.

Some will register the MAC (hardware address) of the network card and only allow access to that one. They would have to modify the thing if you wanted to connect a new/different PC.

Some won't care as long as there is only the one and it is set to take automatic settings from the ISP.

Suggestion for you though. A 4 port router/switch will cost you around £50 or so. You could plug it into the modem and either or both your PCs into the switch portion. Your ISP would only see the router and the router would allow you access from both PCs at the same time or from either one. It would also allow you to connect your two PCs to each other for file sharing, printer sharing, whatever.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks for yur comments Newt, so your saying I have to buy more cables and routers etc (Im not techy enough to understand). I was thinking, I could just unplug my usb cable from pc, to cable modem, then plug in a laptop into the cable modem, (not sharing 2 computers at the same time on one cable modem),it doesnt sound if its that simple then, like plugging in a telephone cable into a socket at different locations.

My Wine cellar is empty, Well, the Bottles in there are...Hic

Hoppy - it may be nearly that simple. Depending on the rules your ISP has set up.

However, I will make a guess that you would be lots happier with a router so you could have both machines hooked up at the same time or hook/unhook the laptop whenever without having to mess with the desktop. And still have the desktop ready for use. This is pretty simple to do too. Plug router into modem. Plug PCs into router. Start up PCs. Automatic network for internet/email and only a couple of minor things to set for an internal network at home. Workgroup name mainly.

If you want to swap them though, give tech support at your ISP a call and ask them what is involved. May be as little as having both PCs set to automatically obtain an IP address and then plug in and boot up which ever one.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President