Go Pro 3

kirisute

just bought myself a go pro3 hero white;

nice piece of kit; going to be using it for fishing and shooting vids etc.

anyone got one and played with it?

im playing about with it today!

heres the specs:

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-white-edition

• Like 1

aha! any good? ive seen a lot of footage from them but never actually met anyone who owns one! LOL

im looking forwards to grabbing some underwater action for my fishing vids and also controlling it from my iphone!!

Edited by kirisute

If you want to get good underwater footage, you will need a housing with a flat lens - ironically, the fish-eye lens doesn't work underwater! I bought GoPro's own version, but there are third party options too.

Some underwater footage:

Clamped to the car in various places with the sucker mount - Achilles heel of the GoPro for this kind of thing is that the microphone picks up a lot of wind noise. You can get a housing which is open enough to let you plug in an external mic, which gets better results, but I haven't got one:

Fishing, attached to me with a chest harness (also used that for the snorkelling)

the Hero 3 comes with a flat lens underwater case! hence my purchase of it! :) and the white version I have will take 5mp stills anyway :)

great footage...looking forwards to getting out and playing with it now.

do you prefer the chest harness for fishing? was thinking of that or the head harness...

Edited by kirisute

The chest harness is a bit more discreet and possibly the chest moves less and makes the viewer less likely to feel sick! It's also good for capturing what you are doing with your hands, like the sequence at the beginning of the fly fishing vid where I'm rifling through my fly box. The head mounts have the advantage that they look where you look. I think it will come down to what you are trying to capture, but I haven't felt the need to head-mount mine.

cool!

now working on rigging up a way of lowering it into the water;

going to bastardise the mounting from the display box to fit the end of a landing net handle so I can lower the camera into the margins :)