U.S. Sniper

Elton

Newt

Any info on the weapon and ammo used?

At first I thought that he was failing to make clean one-shot kills because of the ranges that must have been involved. I can't understand how he was missing vital organs if he was close enough to need a sound moderator.

Some of us use .223 sound moderated rifles for fox control but that is mainly so as not to disturb the neighbours.

The IRA have used a .500 Barrett at hundreds of yards much more effectively, but I can't imagine they have them sound moderated.

Jim Roper

http://www.searchlineuk.co.uk/FishList.htm

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Chris/Oregon Dave.

I knew by my reply to Elton's (as always excellent) posting, a can of worms would be opened. That's why we do it after all. Now, point is this: Why do we need the perps executed? Think for a moment. For revenge? Savage. To stop them doing it again? Alternatives. Stop anyone else doing something similar? Dont work mate.

I know there are all those thousands of people who say "I'd throw the switch/Pull the lever", or whatever the case may be but I cannot condone the death penalty under any circumstances I'm afraid. We become no better than the perpetrator. We sink to that level.

No one should have the power of life or death over another. Not the criminals nor the powers that be.

In the world of "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" you end up with a lotta blind folk who can't eat cornflakes.

All the best guys,

Roy

Chris Playle:

Just as you, Elton, I have been intreagued by the events. I suppose the burning question would be..... why? .... And for what aim? Have the police managed pin down a motive for this yet?

A $10,000,000 ransome.

The death penalty is the cheapest option, even if they stay on death row for 17 years lining some lefty do-gooder lawyer's pockets with legal aid.

Anybody know the latest estimated cost of keeping a lifer inside for a year?

There are 3 prisons on Portland. When they come out, they're no longer put on the train at Weymouth. They're put on a bus and they get off at Weymouth and never leave the town.

Anybody who wants them let out should provide a house next door for them to live in. We don't want them.

Jim Roper

http://www.searchlineuk.co.uk/FishList.htm

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Roy - I can understand your feelings regarding capitol punishment. I just happen to feel differently, and that under some circumstances, the death penalty is appropriate. IMO, cold blooded murder for gain is an appropriate circumstance.

Jim - I'm not Newt of course, but it appears they were using a civilian model (semi-automatic) version of the M-16 as made by Bushmaster in Maine. From what I understand, they were shooting at ranges from 60 - 140 yards. I did not hear that they were using a moderator (attached to the rifle), what we would call a silencer. Apparently they had been doing at least some shooting from within their car when it was stopped, and had even cut a hole in the rear to shot out of. We'll hear more than we want to about this, when it goes to trial.