New Records Accepted

Leon Roskilly

Peter Waller:

No comment about the Chub record being taken from a still-water, and presumably fattened on boilies. Barbel next? Does it matter? No, thought not !

actually mate it does,but i have had this argument many many times over,i dont like the fact that is was caught by a carp angler,(as most records bloody are!)its not the fact that it came from a stillwater,if some dedicated to chub or at least fishing for them then i would concede but im not about to as the record WILL be broken and it WILL be from a river.and i know the venue that record came from,even tho its an "undisclosed venue".here are lots of places (stillwaters) that contain huge chub catching them by design is another matter.one last thing that chub was probaly fattened on boilies and lots of small fish,they love small fish especyially small elvers.

[ 21. December 2004, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: Ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are confusing records with merit - and the two are not necessarily the same. If an athlete runs the 100m faster than anyone else, and does so without the assistance of performance-enhancing drugs, then it follows that at the time the record was broken that athlete was the best in the world. A record fish might be caught by accident by someone fishing for another species, or by someone who notwithstanding short-term media "stardom" might fall far short of being the best angler. Furthermore, a record fish might have its weight temporarily enhanced by carrying spawn (particularly the case with tench). Records - as Dick Walker correctly said - are merely recorded biggest-weights for historical purposes; beyond that narrow parameter they have no importance or significance whatsoever.

Peter Martin:

Just for the record Ratty The previous chub record came from Dobbs wier on the river lea but was caught by a carp angler using a bolie.

i know mate it wasnt a carp anglr tho,no,it was caught in a chub study group fish inmate on THE chub bait TRIGGA!,is a well known fish named dobby comes out every year,in alklmost the same place i know someone who's had it a 8 plus twice!

[ 21. December 2004, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

jim

i understand where you are coming from mate i see your points,but my view is firm,i would like all fish on the record list cuaght by design it will probably never happen but it would be nice as that is the idea of specimen hunting is it not?to catch a specimen or bigger by design.the biggest fish shouyld be recorded,for historical purposes but not as british recorrds.for me there must be some merit in it.

[ 21. December 2004, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: Ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

It's not going to happen, Ratty, and I for one are glad. I love the fact that the record perch was caught by accident by a young lad from a carp pool. That's what fishing's all about - the mystery and the surprise. Long may it remain so. I hope tomorrow a complete beginner goes out and flukes a rcord barbel, carp, whatever. Hopefully one that hasn't ever been caught before and therefore hasn't got a "name".

Fenboy

arrgh fenboy!

now i will sound like a hypocrite, but i do agree that it is wonderfull, when someone catches one out of the blue i cant deny that,but i still think all records really should by design your right it will never happen,not alot really i can do about it(except try n break the chub record ) i shall concede defeat.

it is about mystery,the mystery of whats lying in wait under the surface.

[ 23. December 2004, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: Ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

Peter Waller:

It might be about mystery for some folk, but not when every fish in the lake is known right down to their inside anal fin measurement!

dont fish them bloddy places then...see easy problem solved get on a river...

AKA RATTY