wireless problems

chesters1

just for fun i am trying to use a wireless connection rather than ethernet on my bt home hub.

the home hubs seen with a good to very good signal but when i try to connect to it it just sits there "acquiring network address" but nothing more ,any suggestions

i have removed the security for the moment to save typing in all the guff

in the box it says i'm connected to the hub but its "acquiring network address" then a greyed out "automatic" then "acquiring network address" again in a continual loop. :wacko:

i'v replugged in the ethernet (as you can see) and it works perfectly as you see

just rebooted (something was using lots of cpu_ and it asked for a network key

1) network?

2)i have a password ,wireless key and a ssid ,is it one of those? i can enter any but it just says acquiring network address for blooming ever.

windows cannot "repair" it :lol: it it says it cannot renew the ip address.

as all this merryment is going on the little icon on the taskbar goes between the wireless icon with a red cross and the icon with a small moving dot under it (showing its trying to connect) in sequence with the main bt wireless connection dooda :rolleyes:

i give up going into the router software it only sees the ethernet connection not the wireless one :angry:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Sorry chesters, can't say I've had that specific problem. However there's lots of info if you search for wireless acquiring network address in yahoo!

My BT home hub has just started doing this....connecting/disconnecting/connecting/disconnecting/local access only etc etc. It works perfectly fine when 'hardwired' though. When it drops off the wireless network , i can't see my own wireless hub but can still see every other network in my building.

I personlly think my home hub is failing on the wireless side . I got this reply from BT which i think is a stock answer/reply as it covers everything

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am sorry to learn that you are unable to connect via wireless to your Home hub.

I would like to advice, please follow the steps provided below to connect via wireless configuration.

Pre-requisites to connect to Broadband via Wireless.

1. The computer and the router have to be wireless enabled.

2. The wireless function on the computer should be enabled/on.

3. If the wireless card/adapter has to be installed properly and enabled in the computer. It should come in the All

Programs list or Add/Remove programs in Control Panel.

However, if your router is not wireless capable then you may visit the link at www.shop.bt.com to place online order for a new router. The following are the wireless routers provided by BT.

1. Home Hub

2. BT Voyager 2091

3. BT Voyager 2500V

4. 1800 HG, etc.

If the aforementioned conditions are met please perform the following steps to connect to broadband wirelessly.

(1) Pre-checks.

1. Check if the wireless light on the laptop is on or off. If it is off, switch it on.

2. The router should also be properly connected and the wireless light should be on.

3. Connect the laptop/computer to the router with the Ethernet cable (Yellow cable or white cable with yellow ends) if the wireless connection is

being set for the first time

(2) Router configuration.

01. Launch an Internet Explorer page and in the address bar type in '192.168.1.254' (Home Hub) or '192.168.1.1' (other Voyager routers). It will

open the router manager page.

02. Click on 'Advanced' on the left panel of the window.

03. Click on 'Advanced' once again in the middle of the page.

04. A pop up window will appear where you need to enter the

username: admin

password: admin

05. Click on 'Wireless’ under ‘Configuration' on the left panel of the window.

06. You will find something as 'Network Name SSID' on this page, copy the same on a piece of paper.

07. Change 'Channel Selection' to 'Manually'.

08. Change the channel to 6 or 11 and click on 'Apply'.

09. On the left hand side of the page click on 'Security'.

10. On the security page you will find the 'WEP Encryption Key'. Copy this as well on the piece of paper.

11. Close the Internet Explorer page.

(3) Enabling the 'Wireless Zero Configuration' (WZC).

1. Click on 'Start'.

2. Click on 'Run'.

3. Type in 'services.msc' (without quotes).

4. In the next window select 'Wireless Zero Configuration'. Double left click on it.

5. Under the general tab select the start up type as 'Automatic', even if it is already selected.

6. Click 'Start', then 'Apply' and then 'Ok'. Close the window.

(4) Check the Wireless Network Availability.

01. Click on 'Start'.

02. Click on 'Control Panel'.

03. Click on 'Network Connections'.

04. Right click on 'Wireless Network Connections'.

05. Click on 'View Available Wireless Networks'.

06. If it shows the name of your router in the list then click on the name and click 'Connect'.

If it does not show the list of networks then perform the following steps.

07. Click on 'Change Advance Settings'.

08. Click on 'Wireless Network' tab.

09. Tick the box which reads 'Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings'.

10. Under 'Preferred Networks' remove if anything is in the box.

11. Click on 'Add'.

12. Where it asks for 'Network Name (SSID)' put in the 'Network Name SSID' copied beforehand.

13. Beside 'Data Encryption' select 'WEP' once again.

14. Uncheck the box that reads 'The Key Is Provided To Me Automatically'.

15. In the field that asks for the 'Network key' put in the 'WEP Encryption Key' copied beforehand.

16. Click on 'Ok', click on 'Ok' once again.

17. Under 'Wireless Network Connection' it will show 'Connected'.

19. Try and connect to the Internet.

I would also like you to visit the links provided below to gather information and troubleshoot your issue.

1. What can I do to improve the wireless range between my wireless router / BT Home Hub and computers??

http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cfg/php/...hp?p_faqid=9604

2. Why do I lose my wireless connection when I turn on my cordless phone or use my microwave oven?

http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cfg/php/...hp?p_faqid=7489

For any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us or use our BT Broadband Self Help website- http://www.bt.com/broadband/help .

Thank you for using BT Total Broadband Support.

Debasish Saha

BT Total Broadband Support

Edited by nomadpaul

the home hubs seen with a good to very good signal but when i try to connect to it it just sits there "acquiring network address" but nothing more ,any suggestions

This is your network interface card trying to get an ip address. Make sure your home hub has DHCP enabled. It will act as a DHCP server. You should be able to specify the IP range.

in the box it says i'm connected to the hub but its "acquiring network address" then a greyed out "automatic" then "acquiring network address" again in a continual loop. :wacko:

Sometimes you can be connected and have an IP address (this results in limited or no connectivity) BUT you will have to specify the network key. It should prompt for that. AND you did say you disabled security.

i'v replugged in the ethernet (as you can see) and it works perfectly as you see

Try to disable this ethernet port before you use the wireless. Go to network connections and right click the one you want...

1) network?

2)i have a password ,wireless key and a ssid ,is it one of those? i can enter any but it just says acquiring network address for blooming ever.

You should only need your password to log into the router GUI. You should see the SSID (available wireless networks) in order to select it as the network you want to connect to. The wireless key should be entered if the network you are trying to connect to has security enabled.

windows cannot "repair" it :lol: it it says it cannot renew the ip address.

Also make sure that your router has NAT enabled. Your router will use the IP address from your ISP and assign IP addresses as needed of it's own. This is back to the DHCP enabled part.. :P

as all this merryment is going on the little icon on the taskbar goes between the wireless icon with a red cross and the icon with a small moving dot under it (showing its trying to connect) in sequence with the main bt wireless connection dooda :rolleyes:

The red cross means you do not have a connection :lol: The little roving dot means your NIC is DHCP enabled and is trying to 'pull an IP address'

i give up going into the router software it only sees the ethernet connection not the wireless one :angry:

The router will only see the wireless one if it has a working connection. :rolleyes:

Rocket science! :huh::lol:

Have a look here.. http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Wireles...ion-t82422.html

Sometimes a simple reboot of the router will cleanse it of some problems but it may 'erase' the cause making it difficult to troubleshoot.

What are the specs for your wireless pc? Which 802.11 standard is it?

Nomadpaul- Yep that's pretty much canned.. But good info either way. Sifting through it though... :yucky:

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

yesssss ,nothing in the list worked so i removed the two <_< wireless hubs and windows popped up and said it had found a connection and away it went,cheers chaps.

back on ethernet though its safer ,i needed the wireless bit for when my bro brings his xbox ;)

i had also told the hub to download the latest software last night which may have helped

whats the best security version to use to stop others peeking (not that there seem to be any others but "strangers" visit the village occasionally :o ) and just because i'm not using wireless there seems to be no way of shutting it off

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

yesssss ,nothing in the list worked so i removed the two <_< wireless hubs and windows popped up and said it had found a connection and away it went,cheers chaps.

back on ethernet though its safer ,i needed the wireless bit for when my bro brings his xbox ;)

i had also told the hub to download the latest software last night which may have helped

whats the best security version to use to stop others peeking (not that there seem to be any others but "strangers" visit the village occasionally :o ) and just because i'm not using wireless there seems to be no way of shutting it off

WPA/PSK will do well for what you want. Turn it on and set your own key. You should be able to turn off the broadcast of the SSID. That way you have to know the SSID AND the key in order to connect to it. In other words it's still there you just can't see it by looking for an available network. Glad you sorted it. :)

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...