River Lea Hertford

Simon87

Hiya I want to go and fish on the river leav in hertford. Does anyone know if you can fish anywhere along it? Do you just need a fishing licence or do you have to pay for a day ticket aswell? I used to fish there with my Dad when I was younger and we used to fish near Hartham swimming pool in hertford. Im taking my 2 friends who have never been fishing before so not looking to catch really big fish just aslong as we catch something!!

Any help and advice as to cost, where to fish etc would be great.

Thanks

I'm not absolutely certain, but I think I'm right in saying that the fishing on Hartham Common is free (as long as you have a rod licence of course). There are a few chub along there, but I think a far better bet would be to fish the river where it runs alongside the football pitch and curves round towards the allotments. I used to catch tench on the bend below the footbridge, but only early in the morning. I lost what seemed to be a big chub about half way between that corner and the road bridge, but there always used to be a fair few carp in there as well.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I'm not absolutely certain, but I think I'm right in saying that the fishing on Hartham Common is free (as long as you have a rod licence of course). There are a few chub along there, but I think a far better bet would be to fish the river where it runs alongside the football pitch and curves round towards the allotments. I used to catch tench on the bend below the footbridge, but only early in the morning. I lost what seemed to be a big chub about half way between that corner and the road bridge, but there always used to be a fair few carp in there as well.

Most of the carp were removed, someone on the council ran a carp syndicate lake and they went in there.

The section through the allotments used to be a on a day ticket (20 years ago), don't know the full SP now that I've moved. Below the bridge there on the south bank belongs to the council and you are supposed to work for the council to fish it but I only ever got turned off there once in many visits, the lower end of the Mimram there was at one time on the Hertford Club book but was nicked by a small private pub club, (I used to rent the next mile upstream from the farmer).

The LAA have some of the Lea at Hertford available on a day ticket. clicky for details

The LAA stretch is well worth a try and also the area around the weir near the swimming pool. You will catch plenty with maggots.

You could also try the canal between the lock and weir, fishing close to the narrow boats. The LAA stretch and the canal are dayticket, and the bit of the lea near the swimming pool I think is free. I'm not sure of the prices for the day tickets as I've never seen a bailiff.

I'm just about to go on holiday, but if you want someone to show you where to fish, I'll happily walk you round when I get back.

Andy.

It shows how long it is since I was there, because I don't even remember the swimming pool. I do remember sitting outside The Barge though and hauling up countless crayfish (native ones) with handlines. I once put one in my empty beer glass and made the barmaid squeal. Happy days.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Cheers for all the replies. Hopefully we'll be having a good days fishing. The weather is meant to be good so fingers crossed! Andy, we're going tomo but if we ever fish there again in the future I may well take you up on your offer.

Thanks again.