My Heart Always Alights Upon The Nearest Perch …24/06/2013

Mark Crame

Quite possibly yes Newt. It is a standard spinning rod rather than a trigger-style baitcasting rod though the reels are baitcasters. The problem on the kayak with the trigger rods is fitting them in rod holders for carriage, the odd shape doesn't suit well for that. Having said that, there are no issues casting lures a good distance with this setup - the rod is light and has a very pleasant action both casting, retrieving and while fighting fish (have had perch, pike and bass from the sea here) and it twitches nicely when trolling too. Having access to all the Fladen range does indeed give me a huge choice but I tend to keep things simple - three rods for lures, river and sea (all the same) three for bait fishing at sea (all the same) one for tiddler bashing and an uptider for when I go on a proper boat. 3 baitcasters, 3 multipliers and 2 small spinning reels (1 for tiddlers, 1 for lures). I hate carrying extra gear :-)

To be honest I am clueless about rod design - actions and all that - and tend to be a bit basic on that. After weight/type of rod the first criteria is 7ft. 2nd is eva handles. Third is whether it looks good - a good looking rod being designed and built to a better standard in my thinking. The importance is whether it'll catch me fish and survive my abuse! So far these are doing admirably - and they're twenty quid rods!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fladen-Xtra-Flexx-Spinning-10-30g/dp/B005E7B3KA/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Thanks for that Mark.

Maybe someone needs to create a folding trigger for casting rods.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President