digital camera help

*Ant*

Can anyone give me an idea on what to look for when buying a digi-cam. I'm thinking about getting one, but having looked around a few retailers I see the prices can range from a few quid upto thousands.

From what I understand, the higher the amount of pixels the better.

Could I get a pretty decent one for around £50?

:confused:

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Ant - the one you want to get depends purely on what you intend to use it for.

The more detail and larger size you get (pixels) the better the picture quality will be but that only really matters if you are planning to print lots of really high quality photos (and have a top end printer that will deal with the detail).

It also means more storeage required for fewer pictures.

If you want mostly snap shots for web posting and emailing to friends, you don't need the super-super-multi-mega pixel camera. A waste.

You will be happier if you get one with real, mechanical, optical zoom rather than one with digital zoom only.

Unless you will always have a fishing companion to snap pictures you will want a timer.

I have one good digital camera and one I bought just for fishing pics - not as expensive but still good enough. Optical zoom and a timer.

You should expect to pay at least £150 though. Maybe a bit more. Otherwise I don't think you'll be happy with what you get.

Possible to do well getting a used one if you can be sure it is working well. The quality and features are being added so fast that lots of serious camera bugs are upgrading for features and will have a perfectly servicable camera they no longer need.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President