match rods

Benselley

As an ex match angler i never quite understood the term match rod myself. most "match " rods are basically float rods not ledger rods. i think there supposed to be an all round float rod but i wouldnt say they were. i use to carry three different ones for different situations.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

What is generally called a match rod is a float rod which has standoff rings which keeps the line away from the blank during the cast and making casting a light float easier.

Basically there are several different types of match rod and I would put them into 3 categories:

Light Match Rods (approx 0.7lb to 3lb hooklengths), mainly used on canals, or for using very fine hooklengths in the winter etc. for silver fish.

Meduim Match Rods (approx 2lb to 4lb hooklengths), great for medium sized roach or small to medium sized Tench, Crucians, Bream etc.

and Heavy Match Rods (approx 3lb to 7lb hooklengths), for fishing for the larger fish such as small to medium sized Carp, or larger Tench etc.

The Light and Medium Match Rods can sometimes be seperated into two further types: Waggler and Stick, this because the waggler and Stick rods both need slightly different actions, eg the stick rod will need to have a crispier tip action capable of striking a stick float drifting downstream whereas a waggler rod is usually used in still waters and can be slightly softer in action if finer lines are in use. But I think that since the Pole has re-entered the scene as the favourite match fishing tool; a lot of these differences (between Waggler & Stick match rods) have largely dissapeared for some rod manufacturers (but not all of them).

If you are looking for an all round rod that can be used for Roach as well as smallish Carp then I would tend to go for a rod such as the John Wilson Avon Quiver (or a similar rod) as you can use lines of between approx 3lb to 7lb. you may not have the advantages of length and ability to use the really fine hooklengths but you will still be able to handle fish of most species on these lines.

You could use the avon top for float fishing or legering plus the quiver tip for light-ish leads or feeder work.

There are also other threads on this forum that deal with General Purpose rods which I suggest you read.

Tight Lines

BB leapingfish2.gif

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

What is generally called a match rod is a float rod which has standoff rings which keeps the line away from the blank during the cast and making casting a light float easier.

Basically there are several different types of match rod and I would put them into 3 categories:

Light Match Rods (approx 0.7lb to 3lb hooklengths), mainly used on canals, or for using very fine hooklengths in the winter etc. for silver fish.

Meduim Match Rods (approx 2lb to 4lb hooklengths), great for medium sized roach or small to medium sized Tench, Crucians, Bream etc.

and Heavy Match Rods (approx 3lb to 7lb hooklengths), for fishing for the larger fish such as small to medium sized Carp, or larger Tench etc.

The Light and Medium Match Rods can sometimes be seperated into two further types: Waggler and Stick, this because the waggler and Stick rods both need slightly different actions, eg the stick rod will need to have a crispier tip action capable of striking a stick float drifting downstream whereas a waggler rod is usually used in still waters and can be slightly softer in action if finer lines are in use. But I think that since the Pole has re-entered the scene as the favourite match fishing tool; a lot of these differences (between Waggler & Stick match rods) have largely dissapeared for some rod manufacturers (but not all of them).

If you are looking for an all round rod that can be used for Roach as well as smallish Carp then I would tend to go for a rod such as the John Wilson Avon Quiver (or a similar rod) as you can use lines of between approx 3lb to 7lb. you may not have the advantages of length and ability to use the really fine hooklengths but you will still be able to handle fish of most species on these lines.

You could use the avon top for float fishing or legering plus the quiver tip for light-ish leads or feeder work.

There are also other threads on this forum that deal with General Purpose rods which I suggest you read.

Tight Lines

BB leapingfish2.gif

thanks alot bb