Stillwater Shotting Pattern

leedsunited

Steve

With the lift there is no alternative but with your other scenario I would personally still go for the 70% rule (unless the cast was short). Where I want a lot of shot down the line I prefer to either use a bigger float or fish a slider so that float and shot can still travel together.

I have allways found that by having the bulk down the line you are efectively creating two similar weights ie float and shot and that this will tangle unless the cast is short.

[ 11. July 2005, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: A Worm On One End........ ]

I seldom use bulk shot under a waggler unless I'm fishing a slider anyway, so you have a fair point. Something like a peacock quill or balsa waggler doesn't weigh much, though, compared to the amount of shot it can carry.

I reckon the 70% rule is a good one. The other consideration is that the line will tend to pivot around the weights, so each shot added down the line should be a below the point half way between the hook and the shot above it.

Of course stick floats are often fished shirt-button style, but then casting a stick float without tangling takes a little more finesse than does a waggler...

Steve

I was always tought to put all the shot on a stick float below the halfway mark on a rig to be cast out any distance. I used big lignum sticks on the Thames a lot and wpould cast them overhead to the middle when the wind was OK. It is something I would only do if I had enough room for perfect cast though. The same applies to a wagler with lots of shot down the line. If you have enough room to get the line up in the air corectly then you can cast on unbalanced rig without tangles.

A Worm On One End........:

Steve

I was always tought to put all the shot on a stick float below the halfway mark on a rig to be cast out any distance. I used big lignum sticks on the Thames a lot and wpould cast them overhead to the middle when the wind was OK. It is something I would only do if I had enough room for perfect cast though. The same applies to a wagler with lots of shot down the line. If you have enough room to get the line up in the air corectly then you can cast on unbalanced rig without tangles.

Oh, for sure. I like to think I can cope :P

I think a beginner might have problems, with a classic shirt-button pattern, though.