line B.S

moonlight angler

I've never grasped why one bothers with main line at a higher bs than the hook length - that weak point means the whole system is acting as if at the lower bs isn't it? Why not use the one bs all thru, albeit with a hooklength in case the fish breaks you?

Someone please clarify for this relative newbie.

If you had a (for example) 6lb hook length and a 6lb mainline you couldnt be sure whichwould break first.If you use a higher BS main line you know that in the event of a breakage it will be just the hook length you leave behind.

Also sometimes you may require a reletavely high BS line to take the shock of casting say a feeder but still need a low BS hooklength to get bites.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest Rabbit
Don't quivertip myself, does that require lighter line for the tip/rod?

Just thinking there are some big carp in that water so may want to go a tad heavier.

The thing is Neil when quiver tipping you would rarely go above 6 lb bs for the main quarry such as bream, bearing in mind you need to cast a heavy feeder some distance the 6 lb should be fine. you will always have a good chance of landing a biggish carp too, just make sure you back wind or set the fighting clutch correctly..

If you had a (for example) 6lb hook length and a 6lb mainline you couldnt be sure whichwould break first.If you use a higher BS main line you know that in the event of a breakage it will be just the hook length you leave behind.

Also sometimes you may require a reletavely high BS line to take the shock of casting say a feeder but still need a low BS hooklength to get bites.

That would make sense to me as well

Shearwater can be snaggy as well, lots of rocks on the bed so worth bearing in mind

All very well going on about using the clutch and backwinding but sometimes if your fishing overnight your not 100% on the ball and so going a bit heavier could be the diffrerence between getting a nice fish on the bank or being frustrated at being snapped off.

Just my take on it, I'm afraid being a pike fisherman I'm into going heavy with the gear!

Edited by Neil G

Guest Rabbit
That would make sense to me as well

Shearwater can be snaggy as well, lots of rocks on the bed so worth bearing in mind

All very well going on about using the clutch and backwinding but sometimes if your fishing overnight your not 100% on the ball and so going a bit heavier could be the diffrerence between getting a nice fish on the bank or being frustrated at being snapped off.

Just my take on it, I'm afraid being a pike fisherman I'm into going heavy with the gear!

Well Neil you asked and Budgie and others have advised as to what the best BS would be, you cannot fish with 12 to 15 lb line and expect to catch bream, you may catch one or two but not only that it would be a pretty dull experience landing bream on such heavy gear. no medium feeder rod would work well with that sort of line. it might land you a carp granted, but if you used the clutch/back wind you would still have a good chance with the carp, irrespective if you are fishing at night.

Pike Fisher syndrome.??you said it :D

Well Neil you asked and Budgie and others have advised as to what the best BS would be, you cannot fish with 12 to 15 lb line and expect to catch bream, you may catch one or two but not only that it would be a pretty dull experience landing bream on such heavy gear. no medium feeder rod would work well with that sort of line. it might land you a carp granted, but if you used the clutch/back wind you would still have a good chance with the carp, irrespective if you are fishing at night.

Pike Fisher syndrome.??you said it :D

Indeed, my quivertip/ledger rod hasn't seen the light of day for 2/3 years so maybe I should get back in my box.

Pike fishing syndrome...you could say that lol