Pike Fledger Rig Question

Del_R

I'm trying to decide whether my ledger should be fixed in place or free to slide up and down the line in order to have the best chance of showing drop-back takes. The more I think about it the more a sliding ledger seems the most logical. But also, the more I think about it the more it seems that the fish could take the bait and move up to 18" (depending on the length of trace) before anything is registered on either method.(*)

Slightly confused Del

(*) Or do pike always take the bait in a violently enough manner that this isn't an issue?

I am of the opinion that if you use a sliding weight [of a reasonable size) all bites should be seen as pulls rather than drop-backs. I would not use a fixed weight for this reason. It also seems to be accepted that a pike may drop a bait early if it feels immediate resistance. If you do get broken by a fish it is also in the fishes interest that a weight is not on the trace. I don,t claim to be an expert and a await other responses with interest.

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.

always keep it free running mate. its far too easy to make up a thether rig by accident. if you want to keep drop back runs to a minimum, use a lar run ring and heavy weight 2oz plus. most times drop back runs are caused by the leger pulling across the bottom when the fish moves toward you. heavier leads avoid this. anyway yo are talking of using a float. with a properly set float, you should see a run pretty much straight away :D

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

To save confussion a "fledger" is a neutral bouyancy bomb.Often used for fishing over weedy or soft bottoms.

Ledgering rigs for pike should always IMO be free running.A 2ozs lead should be a minimum as this stops the rig "opening up" when cast.You should always ensure that drop back bites will be clearly shown as you would need a very large weight tyo ensure all bites were shown as runs.

Conversely all weights on suspended float rigs should be non free running,especially with live baits.This is to avoid bite offs.

Instead of thinking about "non tether" "non fixed rigs" for pike just concentrate on "safe rigs" ie ones that will ensure you land the fish so that the hooks can safely be removed.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thanks for the replies guys - though I'm even more confused now.

The set up I'm considering is one that I've seen on various web-pages, books, magazines, and videos. Essentially, it's a weighted pencil float, cocked by tightening down to either a free-running ledger or some type of fixed weight (Fox Egg-Sinkers, for example).

My logic tells me that with a float of such buoyancy if a fish picks up the bait and moves back towards the ledger then the line will be pulled through the free running ledger (by the buoyancy of the float) and thus I'll register the take by seeing the float rising up and/or dropping flat - depending on the amount of movement by the fish. On the other hand, if the weight were fixed, any movement on the trace side of the weight would not register on the float side of the weight (the weight preventing this) and thus I'd miss the take until the fish started to move away rather than towards the weight.

I'm quite happy to experiment with both systems - and I've seen both recommended - I just don't get the logic of the fixed system.

Cheers,

Del

[ 29. January 2004, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Del_R ]

a quic ip del. an unweigted pencil float is better as you have to tighten down to get the float to cock. this means that ant movement during a take will result in the float submerging or lifting clear of the water. a weighted float will not lift up as they arealmost self cocking.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Thanks for the correction, Mark. It is indeed an unweighted float I've bought (it was an error in my typing rather than my planning!). Interestingly the float is so buoyant I reckon a couple of these and they could have raised the Titanic with no effort at all.

Kind regards,

Del