Virus Document

Elton

Perhaps someone here can help....

Many viruses grab randowm addresses and fill in the 'From' and 'Reply' fields with these addresses before mailing themselves out again.

Anyone know of a good web page that explains this fact in plain English, so that I can forward the url to someone?

Cheers,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I really could do with some help here.

A well known angler seems to think I've sent him the 'A funny website' virus.

As well as having up to date AV software and firewalls, I don't use MS Outlook or even have it installed on my machines.

Please help....

Elton

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Glad you got it sorted Elton.

Sometimes I feel so useless :(

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

poledark:

Glad you got it sorted Elton.

Sometimes I feel so useless    :(  

Den

LOL! Me, too :D

Wouldn't have been so bad, but I had this on top of a 14 hour day today - like, I've got time to send viruses to someone who's influenced my angling so much....and then would do it from my own address :D

Tight lines,

Elton

Guest sslatter

I can only sympathise mate. The same thing happened to me, and I had to do a "mail merge" to 50-60 addresses explaining that it wasn't me! The b******s!

Graham X:

I can only sympathise mate. The same thing happened to me, and I had to do a "mail merge" to 50-60 addresses explaining that it wasn't me! The b******s!

Happens to me regularly, Graham - thousands of people are on our mailing list and thousands more have been in contact with me, or an element of the website, at some point. I get these quite frequently.

This case is different, however, as it's a name I recognise and, despite my best efforts to explain things in plain English, he seems convinced that it's me :rolleyes:

All the best,

Elton

Elton:

Perhaps someone here can help....

Many viruses grab randowm addresses and fill in the 'From' and 'Reply' fields with these addresses before mailing themselves out again.

Anyone know of a good web page that explains this fact in plain English, so that I can forward the url to someone?

Cheers,

Elton

Yup,

any name in the address book is fair game o be used by a worm etc.

The details go into the address book by default when you send an email to any person.

There is the option to not put peoples details in the address book, tho you''d have to keep a written copy instead.

HTH

Liam

Elton....This case is different, however, as it's a name I recognise and, despite my best efforts to explain things in plain English, he seems convinced that it's me

.....Err Elton,

No he's starting to convice me!

....Are you sure it's not you?

Liam

ps Prob is him!