Time for Perch

scott cordingley

Its that time again, old stripes going to get some attention again. Everyone is different with how they catch them, I prefer to float fish in the margins with worms on 5Ib straight through to a size 8, fishing on canals and lakes. What are your tactics? and lets see some pics of colourful looking perch, here's mine at 3Ib 1oz.

Did you know that apparently it isn't time for perch in the big Cumbrian lakes (or soon won't be)? ;)

I owe myself a session on the Thames, and will fish lobs or bleak close in to a feature, feeding lots of red maggot.

• Like 3

My local club has a few sections, and I've located a few perchy spots, but I'm in Wiltshire so it's all up the top end. I reckon the chances of big fish are probably better on the lower river, which is good for you because that's your nearest bit!

It certainly is Perch Season* again :)

I had a very perchy year last season, firstly having some good results at the Thames with paternosted livebaits in the autumn (after many frustrating years!) and then with legered prawns at a commercial throughout the winter. It was my most successful season for perch by quite a long stretch and really good fun. I'm not sure where the rest of this season will take me, if the river is good for roach I suspect I'll get drawn into that and end up ignoring the perch, if not I may well end up after the stripeys.

Hopefully we'll start to see some pics on here soon of big bristling perch :)

*exceptions may apply

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The river does look awesome for perch down that way. Without local knowledge it might take a lot of searching to find them, though. That's part of the fun, I guess!

Anderoo has caught many more big Thames perch than I have, and can probably offer better general advice, but my best spots are deep, slow-ish, hard-bottomed and with plenty of cover.