techie help.. win98 internet connection sharing

Davy Holt

I have come across this problem myself with friends pc's,the prob lies with your usb connection via your modem.To solve the problem you will need 2 nic's in the main pc & one in the next pc.

The 2 in your main pc,this is how to set it up,

First install 1,

Then set up your internet connection using the ethernet cable from your modem,if you have this option?If not you will need to get in touch with your modem supplier to see if the do the same modem with this option.

Second install the second nic in the same machine.

Third

install a nic in the pc your going to share the connection to.

Fourth

connect them all together.and please use the correct patch cable,as your connecting 2 pc's you will need a crossover cable of whatever length you need.

And reading your post you know how to set up the ICS on windows.

Follow these steps and you should have no problems

Hiya,

Jem.. that was my "if all else fails solution" :)

I would have liked to keep the modem on the USB connection and run the setup the way I had been running.

So the plan tonight is: connect modem directly to switch with the correct cable ( just made up new cable & crossover cable just incase)

and run it independantly from any of the PC's

it just means I now have to instal the firewall into all the PC's.

fingers crossed :):)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Ok.. Update

I connected the modem directly to the Hub last night, then ran ipconfig/release_all on the main PC then re booted and the modem issued a new Ip address and everything seems to be fine on that PC and a *lot* faster.

Now with the other PC and the Laptop I have the same problem they wont release the autoconfiguration IP addresses they have even after un installing all the hetwork gear and re installing... any suggestions???? :)

Davy

Ok... I just captured a NTL engineer that cam into the office. :)

The problem is caused by the modem, domestic modems only issue 1 IP address, so now my only solution is to follow Jems advice... well I'll do that when I get back from me holliday :D:D

Davy

Davy - do yourself a favor and get a router/switch rather than using a PC to share.

Cost over here is around $50-$60 so shouldn't be bad over there. I run that way now and would no way to back to a dual-NIC sharing arrangement.

Linksys, DLink, NetGear, SMC, and others all make a great 4 port device for the price I mentioned. I run a Linksys BEFSR41 and love it. Cost me $100 but prices have dropped quite a bit since I bought this one a year or so back.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President