Best Clubs in Surrey

Hopey

Morning piscators

I live in surrey and, although there are some interesting free river stretches and some good commercials, I am beginning to think about joining a club for the first time.

Does anyone have any opinions on the best?

I am a real all-rounder….I don’t fish matches, and generally don’t go for big bags of silvers….but really enjoy targeting decent fish of any species. Particularly enjoy chub, barbel and pike on rivers, and carp, tench and perch on still waters….wouldn't say no to any species though really....

I don’t mind a challenge or the odd blank (i certainly have plenty of experience!), but I don’t consider myself an expert of any particular type of angling…so probably not looking for anything too tough.

Options I am considering are:

Farnham

Woking

Leatherhead

Dorking

Any thoughts?

"The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shape of things, their colours, lights and shades; these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts". BB

Depends where you live Hopey.

To make best use of the waters available on each ticket it helps to be relatively near each clubs core area. I have been a member of all these at one time.

The best club in terms of value for money and available water is definitely Farnham. The Loddon at Stamford end is worth the ticket money alone for its chub, barbel and perch, and its got Frensham and then all the carp waters some easy and some rock hard. But it waters are rammed at the weekends - I have a ticket and only fish their waters during the week - but some people are OK with the crowds. They have a got a great website and a very active facebook page - have a look at both and you'll get a better feel for it.

Dorking is a small club and has got a lot of the Mole and a really nice little mainly carp lake and doesn't seem to get too busy. Leatherhead is similar.

Woking has got some cracking bits of the Wey for chub with the odd barbel plus some nice pits - I have a feeling Farnham has an exchange ticket with Woking so if you joined FAA, you'd get access to the Woking waters.

The other club you should consider is Godalming. Its got Broadwater for Carp and winter perch plus some lovely bits of the upper Wey, plus the legendary Marsh Farm complex for tench and crucians. If I was nearer I would join this again in addition to FAA.

Good luck M

Cheers Matthew,

Great info.

Yep, location is a bit of a hassle. I live in Kingston, so none are exactly what you would call close by, but I am used to diving up to an hour or so for my fishing, so it doesn't put me off too much. I just like the idea of doing my fishing at picturesque, well-tended, slightly less-pressured venues, with knowledgeable, respectful anglers (not to say people who fish day ticket waters / commercials / free stretches are not knowledgeable and respectful, but you certainly do get a few annoying ****ers!)

It means Farnham is the furthest away though, which is a shame as it looks amazing - also I didn't realise about the exchange ticket which would be a real added bonus.

My problem with fishing is always time - I work a pretty long day up in London, so I generally only get out at weekends. Its also really hard to explore and get to know venues, other than the local stretch of the Thames.

If I went for Farnham I reckon I would realistically get 10-15 sessions a year (which for me still easily justifies the expense), but then I have the quandary of, do I focus on one venue and really try to get to know it and have some success off it, or mix it up and try and bit of everything...?

Anyway I'm looking forward to getting on one of them next season....

decisions....?

"The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shape of things, their colours, lights and shades; these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts". BB

Indeed Hopey - but nice decisions to have. If it really is just the weekends you have available, then that might be a problem if you are an out and out carp angler on FAS waters - they do get really busy. However, if not there are some non-carp venues that you'd get on - but they are still quite a way away from you. I used to work in Chiswick and drive out to the Loddon and be on the river by 7.30ish during the week which would give me the best of the day for the barbel and chub and it wasn't too crowded in the week. I'd average 3 barbel an evening dropping from swim to swim giving each 30 mins.

I would think woking might be your best bet for the travelling time - straight down the A3 for you to ripley for the wey and send for the pits -again you could easily hit them after work in the summer even if you commute by train. I checked the exchange ticket and its not FAS - sorry to raise your hopes!

Good luck M

I used to be an FAS member and funnily enough used to live in Kingston too! I'd echo what Matthew said, their carp waters do get busy at weekends, but the rivers and some of their stillwaters didn't. I used to fish their bits of the Wey a lot, and Frensham big pond for tench in the spring/summer and pike in the winter. Lovely venues. I never got as far as the Loddon and I really regret that now. None of their waters are far from Kingston, just straight down the A3/A31.

I did fish the other waters too, sometimes they were a bit too busy to enjoy it and other times they were fine. Since the break-up of Cemex and particularly the Yately complex, I believe they have several new waters now.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

On the question of do you concentrate on one water or try them all, my advice would be once you've joined and got the key to the venues, put a day aside and visit all the ones you like the sound of. They're all fairly close to each other, and a day's recce without any tackle will teach you a lot more about them all (and whether they feel right for you) than trying to fish them in turn.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Cheers Matthew,

Great info.

Yep, location is a bit of a hassle. I live in Kingston, so none are exactly what you would call close by, but I am used to diving up to an hour or so for my fishing, so it doesn't put me off too much. I just like the idea of doing my fishing at picturesque, well-tended, slightly less-pressured venues, with knowledgeable, respectful anglers (not to say people who fish day ticket waters / commercials / free stretches are not knowledgeable and respectful, but you certainly do get a few annoying ****ers!)

It means Farnham is the furthest away though, which is a shame as it looks amazing - also I didn't realise about the exchange ticket which would be a real added bonus.

My problem with fishing is always time - I work a pretty long day up in London, so I generally only get out at weekends. Its also really hard to explore and get to know venues, other than the local stretch of the Thames.

If I went for Farnham I reckon I would realistically get 10-15 sessions a year (which for me still easily justifies the expense), but then I have the quandary of, do I focus on one venue and really try to get to know it and have some success off it, or mix it up and try and bit of everything...?

Anyway I'm looking forward to getting on one of them next season....

decisions....?

we get plenty of anglers from your location and beyond

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

cheers all

yep next season I am pretty sure I am gonna join Farnham. membership starts on April 1st so got loads of time

And yep I agree a day of recce probably well worth it...