A suggestion for tinkering folks

Newt

Lots of us like to try interesting new programs or other download stuff. It keeps life interesting but on occasion, as has just happened with cranfield, things go amiss.

I'd like to suggest a very inexpensive piece of insurance software that to me is worth lots more in peace of mind than the cost of the application.

I run Roxio's GoBack (well, Symantec now - just recently bought them after including it with their package for a couple years). It sits in the background and I haven't noticed any performance issues with it. It's only function in life is to keep copies of your system so you can easily revert if things go badly. Nothing technical to do but just reboot and when asked, press the space bar. You'll get a list of restore points and can pick one from before you did whatever has you messed up. GoBack will proceed to put your system to exactly where it was at the time you selected.

Unlike the system restore feature that 2K & XP have, it does everything while they will only keep track of system files and try to restore those.

Take a look Here if you are interested. I can say I've used it for a few years now and would not even consider running a PC without it.

[ 08. January 2004, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President