Network cable 'unplugged'

Jim Roper

While my machine was switched on but no network use being made, some changes were made to the broadband connection, speedwise, in the next office. I now get a 'cable unplugged' message on the connection. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the network card(onboard controller on PCChips motherboard). I have cleared the CMOS memory.

Another computer can connect to the same cable with not problem.

I guess it is an entry in the registry somewhere so am thinking of reinstalling windows(2000), but before that, any ideas?

[ 23. February 2004, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

You could try removing and re-installing the network components first. Is the other computer identical to yours?

Jim - the network remove/reload would certainly be simpler than doing the OS but some testing first before you do either.

- have you verified that you still have a cable plugged in and properly seated at both ends?

A speed mis-match is certainly one of the things that will cause the 'cable unplugged' message.

- try backing your network card (NIC) speed off to 10mbps half-duplex. Note that depending on the specific card you have, there may be a setting for speed and one for duplexing or they may be combined. If that restores your connection, then you need to stay with that speed. Otherwise, try 100mbps full duplex and see how that one works.

If none of this helps, please post details on exactly what device you are connecting to for the shared internet service. The OS version on your PC would help too.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I've now disabled the onboard card and installed a new PCI card and that works fine.

The onboard card is something like a Sislan 900, from memory. The motherboard is PCChips M585LMR. The OS is MS Windows 2000 Pro.

I tried everything I could think of along the uninstall/reinstall lines, using windows, jumpers, physically removing the header, uninstalling ZoneAlarm incase it was stopping possible handshake signals with the new router.

The speed thing might be it. I'll try it when I have time, but at the moment, 'If it aint broke....'

[ 24. February 2004, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

I agree. If it ain't broke, work on it 'til it is. :D:D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President