Pictures

Pangolin

Ok, I've nearly got pictures on this board sorted, although the mods still have to downsize my pictures, after I've put them on. I have folders of digital photographs, stored directly from my camera. All are too big to put directly onto threads on this board. Even worse, the image uploader I was going to use for another board cannot store pictures of that size. Can somebody give me a step-by-step guide to downsizing digital pictures from a Windows 'My Pictures' folder (using Windows XP)?

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

Hi Pangolin, your digital camra will have

put you a photo impression onto your computer

yeh, click get photo,when you have it click

edit, this should show the size eg, "2295"

delet this then enter your size,[ width pixels]

enter 648 click resize.once thats done,get

photo / edit just to check it has resized

i hope this is clear, but don't know how

else to explain

Dave

The easiest way I've found is to use a free image viewer/editor called Irfanview.

Use it to open a picture and then

Click on Image (top of picture)

an-ebro2.jpg

Pick the size you want (from the presets or choose your own)

an-ebro3.jpg

Save it to the same or another name and you are done

an-ebro-small2.jpg

[ 28. March 2004, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks to Dave G, and to Newt! I can successfully post digital images on other messageboards, in the correct size (the Anglersnet uploader works on the proboards sites as well). Next question: suppose I have a standard 6x4" print, which I want to use. I stick it in my scanner, and it scans, along with a lot of white background. The trouble is that the white background is 'the image', as well as the picture. How can I get rid of it?

Same program. Open the pic, place the mouse at the upper left of the portion you want, click and hold while dragging said mouse to the lower right of the part you want, then Edit~crop selection and unwanted part is gone. Just save the results.

You really ought to get the app and play with it some. Lots and lots of great features.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Excellent! I've lost the white bits... but now I'm told that the image needs to be jpeg or gif to be loaded: does this mean I can't use the Anglers net uploader for it, or is there some other way?

File~save as

Mine offers 17 options for picture format including .jpg and .gif. They are the best idea since one of those formats will produce the smallest size (in bytes, not dimension) file when you save the pic.