Fitting another hard drive.

Guest Ferret1959

Guest Ferret1959

Right I have fitted a 120ghz HD and can't seem to get the thing to show on my computor.

I have been into Bios and it's there I said yes to save settings and it's rebooted, but what am I doing wrong or am I just missing something???? :( :confused:

Oh and this is acting as a slave and the jumper is set to say it's a slave.

[ 24. April 2004, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Ferret1959 ]

Is it a slave Dave?? Have you another drive installed? Is the master the first drive on the ribbon?? 120Ghz?? Do you mean 120Mb if it's 120Ghz you DO have a problem!!

Chris

PS This is my first message on my new network!! Only took me 5 days to set it up!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Guest Ferret1959

Yes it's a slave and yes I slipped up on the description, Mb is wot I is meaning to say. :)

Oh and your net work is working well from here. :)

Gigabyte is probably what you meant. 120Gb is nice size. 120Mb is pretty tiny.

What operating system do you run? You can probably set the drive up but it's done differently on 9X/ME than on 2K/XP.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Aw Newt, That was my next post!! Now you went and spoilt it!;-))

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Are both drives on the same ribbon?

Which drive is at the end of the ribbon?

If you disconnect the old drive, what error message do you get at boot up?

What happens if you install the same operating system on the new drive when it is set to 'master' and is the only drive connected?

If not on the same ribbon, are the plugs pushed in completely?

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Guest Ferret1959

Both on same ribbon.

Original HD is on plug nearest MB new drive set as slave with nowt on it.Can't fromat it as can't see in on 'My Computor'.

Checked plugs ok.

On boot up I get a quick glimps of screen and it says it's there.

Just don't show up on Windows.

What is the correct procedure for instaling a new HD from scratch?

Have you got a Windows 98 diskette with Fdisk.exe on it?

If so run that with the new drive only, connected.

Then restart the computer with the Windows 98 CD in the drive, having made sure that the boot sequence in the CMOS setup looks there first.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net