Rogue Dialer

spangles

Hi all, i have a rogue dialler on my puter windows me, freeserve anytime, anyone know how to get rid of it? I am not very well up on puters it is dialing international numbers, i have blocked all international calls with bt but the blighter keeps knocking me off every 10 mins or so, thanks in advance, Dave.

Life is rather like a tin of sardines - we're all of us looking for the key.

This was recently sent through to me from http://www.bigfix.com (worth signing up for advice on latest threats, and free fixes etc)

Understanding Web Browser "Deceptive Software"

The BBC TV Program Watchdog recently highlighted the deceptive practice of certain web sites to take over the phone dialler of a dial up connection and dial a Premium rate number instead at considerable cost to the duped PC user.

Evesham's advice on such activities is to recommend that users contact their Telephone service company to discuss methods of preventing modems from dialling unwanted numbers (such as call barring). Note: Due to the different way Broadband customers, as opposed to dial up modem customers, access the Internet they are less likely to be affected by the majority of premium rate diallers.

Premium rate diallers are however only a singular threat amongst other types of "Deceptive Software". Evesham would like to bring our customers attention to a number of third party articles on how to identify and counter the threat of deceptive web applications. Please note where links to software are included that Evesham are unable to support or recommend specific software for this purpose.

The following links below are operated by third parties and evesham have no control over their content or availability but believe the phrase "forewarned is forearmed" is especially important in this type of case.

--------------------------------

Click here to see Microsoft's advice on deceptive software http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privac...cy/spyware.mspx

Click here to see Symantec's information on non virus threats http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/expanded_threats/

Click here to see VNU Publishing's advice on Premium rate diallers http://www.vnunet.com/Features/1144979

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Spybot will get rid of rogue diallers, and will then immunise your pc against further attacks. The best plan is to stop looking at mucky websites, but I suppose self-discipline has its limits.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Speaking of spybot - there is a brand new version that is much better than the previous. Current is 1.3 and it replaces 1.2

For any who have the 1.2 version, best if you use add/remove to uninstall it and then delete the folder before installing 1.3.

Spangles - in addition to spybot, also run ad-aware. Make sure you update it after installing and before you let it check for spyware.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I find Ad-aware extremely slow and apart from the initial run through, has yet to pick up anything that Spybot missed. I rarely bother with it now.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Thanks very much gents will look into the spybot 1.3, Peter it isnt anything to do with mucky sites it is actually a japanese games site that i have never been on, it is called flash games. Thanks again for the info lads. Dave

Right Lads, me again, i tried to download spybot 1.3 to my puter but this dialer that i have doesnt give me enuff time to download it, can i get someone else to download it to disk and then put it on from there or do i still have to be on the internet? Sorry to sound so thick but i really dont have a clue. Thanks in advance.

Click on your Start button, then on Settings, then on Dial-up networking. You will see a connection that shouldn't be there. Right click on it and choose delete. That should at least buy you enough time to get online with your normal connection, download Spybot and then get rid of the dialler.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President