How do I get rid of this?

Lid

I recently experimented with separate user names on my Windows 98 PC, but they were rubbish, so I removed them all.

However when I switch on the PC I now get this blank login screen which I have to cancel to go past. Does anyone know how I can get rid of it please?

user_login.jpg

Press Esc.

I can't remember much about 98, but there may be something in the security section of Control Panel that gives the option of having to log on or not.

One thing is sure. Newt will know.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Lid:

I recently experimented with separate user names on my Windows 98 PC, but they were rubbish, so I removed them all ....

Removed them how? Is the PC a stand-alone or part of a network?
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

It's a standalone PC. I wanted separate accounts for different members of the family. However I found that it was not secure because anyone booting up or logging in can get on as the unnamed master admin user without using a password.

There was never a login screen before I set up the new users in control panel. After I set them up it appeared and even after I deleted all the users, it remained, albeit with no names in the list.

I thought there may be a registry entry which still needs tidying up to get rid of it.

Got it. In addition to deleting the users, did you uncheck "Users can customize their preferences and desktop settings (Passwords icon in Control Panel, click the User Profiles tab)?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

:D:D

BTW - if you want to run a system where you can set up users and keep them apart/safe/protected from others then you need to look at 2K-pro or XP.