software installation

Dan

Just tried to install AVG on my nice new shiney pc (running xp) and got the following error message

16 bitwindows subsystem

c:windowssystem32autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running ms-dos and microsoft windows applications. Chose close to terminate the application.

It did the same when I tried to load office 97, but thought that was because it was an old software package. Anyone know what the prob is? or more to the point how I fix it?!

Cheers

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Office 97 should run fine on XP and AVG certainly should. Neither should need or get any activity from autoexec.nt.

If you were on the internet with no virus protection and probably without the security patches you need you may have been infected and are seeing a result of that.

Try an online virus scan

Panda should find and clean.

Housecall will find and I think will clean.

I'd run both just to be sure and then immediately install AV then all the critical patches.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Cheers Newt but I dont think it was that because I had a free trial of zone alarm pro and e trust anti virus, but its worth a go. Ive sent a similar email to the pc suppliers helpdesk but dont expect much help! I'll keep you posted.

Dan

You can get away with two firewalls usually. But AV programs don't seem to like each other very much so if you can, download the install package for AVG, get off the net, disable eTrust, and do the AVG install.

But I agree that probably wasn't the cause of your issue. I've seen several problems in the past week or two that were similar and so far, no good explanations. I'll dig around some and if anything surfaces I'll post details here.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I had uninstalled e trust as thought that might be an issue, trouble is now I'm having unprotected surfing! cos AVG still wont work. Ive tried restoring to an earlier date but that didnt work either, is there a system file checker like there was on 98, I cant seem to find one?

cheers

Dan

is there a system file checker like there was on 98

Click on Start. Click on run. Type in

code:

sfc /scannow

Click on OK.

[ 19. August 2004, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

Cheers newt, panda found 8 trojans! 7 disinfected working on the other sfc found no faults. Am going use house call and redownload avg to try again. So much for e trust!

dan

Run the scan again and post exactly what it reports. I think the location of the infected files may be blocking the cleaning and we can take care of that.

The only way you can tell for sure what sfc found is to check your event logs. There will be an event that records activity from the sfc session. It runs quickly and silently when seen from the desktop.

Also, from Here and the security section at the bottom, get Ad-aware and Spybot (fairly new versions of each and you will need to uninstall any previous ones first). Then install, update, run, and let them give you a list of stuff they can clean. With Ad-aware you want to let it remove everything it finds. With Spybot, it will pre-check bad things that need removing. Other items are optional.

You also want Spywareblaster. With it you download, install, update, immunize, and forget it until you update it and immunize again. I do it about once a month.

Cheers Newt, I gave up and bought Macafee security suite, it found the files too and quarantened them, as it couldnt delete them either, I'm going to re run the scan when I have a mo (I'll have to unquaranten the files first tho!) Incidentially the MCaf pop up blocker is so damn good it stops Anglers net openiong up the forum page! Havent found out yet how to let it you know guys are ok!.

The pain is I still get the same message every time I try load software, I got same one trying to load textbridge from my scanner installation cd

Dan