Another wireless problem!!

Chris Goddard

Got myself a wireless router and connected it up and with 6 hours of help from Belkin (First class tech support!! NEVER thought I would hear myself say that!!) I got it all working.

No printer yet but that is not important?!

I have connected my adsl modem for broadband, BUT the lead from that also needs to go into my router, If I do connect the router I get an icon telling me i am connected at 100mbps. BUT if I connect to the modem I obviously always get a connection speed of 576kbps. Now even with my limited knowledge I know there is a distinct difference between k and m (i.e. Kilo and Mega) in the world of mathematics etc. Question is this, am I better using the router and going through the PC or should I direct the lead to the adsl modem? OR should I be able to connect both at oce with some sort of a connection?

And even thought the connection speed is reported at 100mbps is this actually correct?

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

PC Router = 100Mbps

Router Internet = 576Kbps

The internet speed is probably as good as you will get unless you want to pay mega £ for a faster connection. Not sure about the UK but US cost for 100Mbps internet would be in the neighborhood of $50,000 to $75,000 per month.

You expect the internal network connection to be quite a bit faster and 100Mbps PC to Router with a wired system would be pretty standard. Seems a little fast for wireless though since the max speed for 802.11b is around 11Mbps and 802.11g is around 55Mbps.

Bottom line - the limiting speed factor for home broadband users will always be the internet connection speed. PCs (wired or wireless), switches, routers will always run lots faster.

Think of water pipes. In the house you have 5 inch lines and can push lots of water around the house in a hurry. But the fastest broadband connection to the internet will be a ½ inch line at best.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Mmm being abit of a plumber and an electrician I can relate to that Newt! Thanks! here endeth the lesson:-)

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))