HD gone?

poledark

Woke up to a blue screen which said windows had shut down to protect my PC from damage. Advised me to switch off and restart.

Did this and scan disc started....usually takes a few seconds and windows restarts.

Not this time though,,

1st message was..windows replacd bad cluster in fileDocuments and SettingsDennis DarkinApplication DataIdentities{A2728DF2-C15F-4A65-8A95-348F1164E18C}MicrosoftOutlook ExpressDes.dbx of name{null}

Then another similar message but Deleted items.dbx

This repairing bad clusters went on for over an hour and suddenly, after 61% I got this message..STOP:C0000218[Registry File Failure]

Registry cannot load the hive (file):SystemRootSystem32ConfigSECURITY or its Log or alternative.

It is corrupt, absent, or not writeable.

There it all stopped and so I eventually swithed off and couldnt even get back into safe mode just a black screen with the words that there was a problem with my hard disc.

I have bought and installed another, but am wondering if I wasted my money.

Comments please,

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Probably the new one will do fine. But the old one was certainly turned into toast. Possibly just massive data corruption but that is usually from some hardware problem with the drive or the drive controller that can't be cured.

Go to http://www.belarc.com/harddrives.html if you just want to check drive & drive controller status but I'd suggest that you click on the link in step 1 to install the BelArc Advisor so you can quickly check both the S.M.A.R.T. status and lots of other goodies as well. Personal edition is free. If your system supports S.M.A.R.T. drives but you don't have it turned on (the usual situation for most PCs) then running BelArc on the PC will turn it on for you and begin monitoring the status.

[ 30. September 2004, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Cheers Newt, I will do as you suggest.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic