task manager tabs?

kendo

where have my tabs gone the ones entitled,applications,processors,performance etc etc? from the top of task manager? when I bring it up now there are no tabs but shows the white inner window and the progs,apps etc etc have I been burgled?

I have wrestled with reality for 46 years,still wrestling.

i am pretty certain the serivce pack 2 is a load of balls. it seems to have endless problems. such as the limited of no connectivity with the network.

an i got a felling this is service pack 2 related now try the repair feature on service pack 2 disk it might fix it. may have delted certain system files when scanning for spyware of somthing.g

Nicholas - SP2 is actually an excellent update for XP. As long as it is loaded on a clean, working system rather than as a possible 'fix' for one that is behaving badly, it should be fine.

The only pervasive issues I'm aware of are

- it can cause problems with wireless networks. But there is a good fix available for that.

- some software and hardware makers ignored the advance warning and failed to make their goods work with SP2 even though they were given pre-release versions to work with. It was mostly a matter of software/hardware that did not really meet standards and had run under earlier versions since they were more forgiving. SP2 has made them tighten their code to standards but I think most have done it by now.

As near as I could tell, about 10% of XP systems had problems with SP2. Fewer than 1% had SP2-bug related issues though.

kendo - try clicking on the start button, on run, keying

code:

sfc /scannow

into the block then clicking OK. It runs quickly but will ask for your XP CD and then maybe the SP2 CD if it needs to replace missing or damaged system files.

When that finishes, try clicking on the start button, on run, keying in cmd and when the 'DOS' window opens, keying

code:

chkdsk /r

pressing ENTER then following the prompts to run the check disk at next reboot then boot.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

fair enough newt just seems that since kendo updated to service pack 2 he has had endless problems.

the freezes when connecting to the net.

the network doesnt work for some crazy reason all though we have spent about 3 days trying to make it work.

but touch would his machine seems to be running fine except for this lil task bar issue.

If the above doesn't help, there are a few other things to try.

Network is wired or wireless?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

wired newt. all relevant checks have been made such as type of cable crossover or straight. they are straight.

kendoes computers (host) >> hub << kendos other computer

thats how its set up.

all drivers on network cards up to date etc just cant seem to see each other in workgroup. sometimes kendo can see me but then when he trys to access my shared folders it says access denied or somthing along the line of that.

nuttin but problems problems problems

Wired is certainly easier to work with. I think I can give you a how-to on setting the networking / sharing up from the beginning and a way to zero all the settings to the defaults which is probably the best option.

Are both PCs running XP-home? If not, what other OS?

Do either of you want some security from the other or just from the outside world?