xp freezes

Nicholas Simpson

hello everyone i am new to anglers net. anyway.

my computer runs fine when searching the net and using very basic programs such as microsoft office and other similar applications.

it seems to freeze when i play a game for example when i play football manager 2005,it seems to happen on all games old and new. tried pretty much everything.

i am starting to think its a hardware problem. sometimes it will just shut down during the middle of a game. its usually about 5-10 minutes into a game.

hope ya can help

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Nicholas and welcome to AN.

You have not stated your computer specs, remember that the latest computer games usually require powerful systems.

However, a couple of things may help....first of all a good clean up of your hard drive would help and a defrag is essential. Then you need to download and install the latest drivers for your video card. Then make sure you download and install the latest DirectX stuff.

Check for any patches for your games at their official web sites.

You may know all of this already but I hope this helps.

Gobio high,I know this machine nick is my daughters boyfriend,the machine is clean and has been reformatted,has xp pro and all required drivers,graphics card is a fx 5000-200 with 256 ram onboard,512meg of machine ram plenty of hard diskspace.

machine seems to freeze/reboot itself approx 5 minutes into a game same software has since been run successfully on a lesser machine without any freezes or probs.

I have wrestled with reality for 46 years,still wrestling.

Download a video testing utility from

http://www.futuremark.com/download/

and stress the video card a little. That will tell you pretty quickly if that's where the problems originate.

Click on start => run =>, key in eventvwr.msc and OK then check your event logs for errors or warnings that look related.

Give kendo a different picture to use for his avatar. May I suggest one of these:

an-kendo1.gifan-kendo2.gifan-kendo3.gif

an-thumbs-up.gif

[ 22. November 2004, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Kendo, I think Newt is right, the video card is everything with games, if you can get hold of an alternative video card and try that in the machine it may prove a problem with the present video card. It is worth remembering that some games just don't work with some video cards, I know this from personal experience.

if its just the video card ill be made up. i was looking down the lines of a new pc. ill have to check it with a spare one witch i have. but its only a recent card its 3 months old which was bought from the computer fair.

is there some sort of 12 month manufactures gurantee on g force cards?